Single six gap problem?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

greystonedog

Bearcat
Single six- When I got it the cylinder rubbed on the barrel, could hardly work the action, figured I could fix it . I took the end of the barrel down with a stone to get a .005 gap , end shake .001. When I shoot it fire out each side, no lead , held paper to the side, no hole but noticable fire. This is the proper gap, why am I having this??? Cylinder has last 3 digits of SN. Thanks

when you shorten any barrel, you also have shortened the forcing cone, simply recut it, may have been short already, and at a different degree cut than an improved 11 degree cut..........

greystonedog

Bearcat
Makes sense, just didnt think .005 off would make a difference, but as you said it may have been short before. I am looking for a local Gunsmith that will do it. Sure want to get the improved 11 degree. If I have to ship can you recommend someone? Thanks Bob

5of7

Hunter
greystonedog said:
Makes sense, just didnt think .005 off would make a difference, but as you said it may have been short before. I am looking for a local Gunsmith that will do it. Sure want to get the improved 11 degree. If I have to ship can you recommend someone? Thanks Bob

I don't think .005" makes any difference to the forcing cone.

I think it is normal to get fire flashes from the cylinder gap.

I burned a hole through a leather glove while shooting a .44 Mg. just by letting my finger get next to the front of the cylinder. 8)

greystonedog

Bearcat
Found a rental forcing cone reamer from 4-d , looks like just what I need, Anyone had experience with it . How about the optional depth gauge , recommended?