GP100 cylinder release button

Help Support Ruger Forum:

robotoid

Bearcat
How do I get the small screw out of the bottom of the recoil shield, which I presume holds in the cylinder release? I want the gun stripped down as far as possible for polishing. The screw seems super tight, is it lock-tited? Reverse threaded? #53 crane latch pivot on a schematic diagram.

GP100man

Buckeye
It is loc-tited in & peened to some point.

A little heat , good fitting bit & patience.

I`ve removed a few because of cast flashing was preventing the rear cyl. lock from being pushed completely in .

Flash

Buckeye
I've disassembled SP101's that had the screw very loose and some with them super tight. One thing to keep in mind is as soon as you get the screw hot, work on getting it out. When loctite cools after being heated, it can be more stubborn.

It's not reverse threaded but Ruger has become over zealous with that screw. Most likely due to warranty replacement. They never used to be loctited.

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
You have to grind yourself a small screwdriver to get this screw out, preferably one with a long handle and thin shank. They are usually difficult to remove, but you may have luck heating the part with a hair dryer. Every one I have seen is slightly bent near the middle. This is intentional. As the screw gets near to tight, observe the center pin on the recoil shield. As you rotate the screw, choose a position that centers the pin in the rear locking hole.

CU