Seizing Cylinder on GP 100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dump1567

Single-Sixer
I picked-up this hardly used 2018 7 shot GP 100 from a local shop last week. After putting a few cylinders through it, I noticed in one chamber area that the back of the case head was rubbing the back of the frame as it was coming into the firing position. It was tight enough to prevent pulling the trigger/cocking without a lot of force. I don't think this started happening until I had put a few cylinders through it. And it seemed to be in the same spot. I guess the cylinder isn't lining-up right and is out of sync? I haven't looked the gun over yet but does anyone have an idea of what's going on?
Thanks.

CtGGnjf.jpg

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
The fact that you report it started after firing several cylinders-full prompts me to ask the obvious -- have you run a brush through that chamber to see if fouling debris is preventing full seating of the cartridge?

Dump1567

Single-Sixer
No. The case looked flush against the cylinder, but I'll check it out during cleaning.

Dump1567

Single-Sixer
Well, a good cleaning, and things seem to be GTG. Perhaps the round wasn't seating all the way?

i read that some ammunition case rims were too large for all seven rounds to seat properly in this model GP100
This is true. There was a lengthy thread about this a few years ago. Ruger never actually admitted it was a problem but did handle a few individual cases quietly.

Basically, the problem was that given the diameter of the "hole circle" of the chambers, some ammo that runs to the upper end of the SAAMI-allowable rim diameter can result in adjacent rims binding against each other, preventing complete insertion into the chambers.

Dump1567

Single-Sixer
This is true. There was a lengthy thread about this a few years ago. Ruger never actually admitted it was a problem but did handle a few individual cases quietly.

Basically, the problem was that given the diameter of the "hole circle" of the chambers, some ammo that runs to the upper end of the SAAMI-allowable rim diameter can result in adjacent rims binding against each other, preventing complete insertion into the chambers.

I found that thread on the "other Forum". I just tried several different manufacturers boxes of ammo and no issue with seating or cylinder rotation. I'm not really sure what the cause was. I was just grabbing random cased reloads out of a bag when it happened. I'll just pay better attention to what I'm loading in of just use factory ammo I know works.

The other issue I was having was trying to get the sights dialed in. So I need to go back out and work on that with some factory ammo.

Dump1567

Single-Sixer
So I tried some old PMC marked reloads, and I was able to duplicate the issue of one round not seating. I than switched to some factory new Federal and was able to duplicate the issue once out of 20 tries? I'm not sure what causes it? Maybe the ejector star not lining-up right? Anyway, I'm not going to worry about it. I don't really plan to carry this gun. And if I did, I'll make sure the 7 loaded are seated. But this definitely seems to be suffering from the same issue talked about in the lengthy 2018 thread.

Here's how the PMC look. The new Federal wasn't as bad. These PMC could have also been expanded from firing and contact with the back of the revolver?

d95TpxU.jpg

Last edited:

jdavis

Single-Sixer
By chance has this gun had a lot of .38 spl run through it? If so, a carbon ring can form in the chamber at the case mouth of the .38 case. The amount that the .357 cartridge extends beyond the cylinder looks to be just about right for this to be the cause. Those carbon rings can require a good bit of effort to remove. A tornado brush is useful for this.

...again, all good points above as to the 'cleaning' and I said a "process of elimination". and you did say above it happened the first time with 'random' reloads .......
as in many cases as noted "it's the ammo".......wish it was here so we could take a GOOD look at it and help you........you're getting 'closer'.........;)

sorry but the ejector rod on a GP100 has NOTHING to do with a case "chambering" its the chamber itself, or the shell casing ( swelled/bulged) ...loose rod on a S&W will cause the cylinder to NOT COME OPEN, ( BECOMES TOO LONG) and hangs up on the 'bolt', under the barrel, up front........;)

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
What about the ejector rod becoming loose?
That's a S&W problem, as Ron noted, Ruger's made different.
For me, this problem is almost always fixed with a cleaning or even hitting the star with a toothbrush at the range.

Johnnu2

Hunter
As mentioned before, I would clean under the ratchet and where it 'sits' one the cylinder....in fact all over it more than once. It used to be a normal problem on S&Ws that were shot in competition weekly..... CLEAN after each range session.... even though there are people who will tell you they never clean their guns.

IMHO

J.

Might also want to check to see that the primers on the reloads are fully seated at or below the rim of the cartridge. Progressive reloading without cleaning the cases will sometimes leave some particles in the primer pocket keeping the primer from being properly seated.

Dump1567

Single-Sixer
Might also want to check to see that the primers on the reloads are fully seated at or below the rim of the cartridge. Progressive reloading without cleaning the cases will sometimes leave some particles in the primer pocket keeping the primer from being properly seated.

I think that was actually the problem. I ran into the same issue with another gun. Crappy Ginex primers that were extremely hard to seat.

Latest posts