help with recipe for 38sp LCR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

4runnerguy

Bearcat
Hello,

This is my first post here. I'm getting back into reloading because the price for factory ammo is much higher lately.

I'm loading the 38sp with 125gr Rem Golden Saber bullets, WSP primers and Unique powder. But I can't seem to find any consistent load data to start with. I have two reloading books from 1994 (its been a while) and their data vary in a scary way. One could over pressurize the gun and the other could cause a lodged bullet in the barrel. So I have my brass cleaned and sized but now I'm stuck. Please help. The GS bullets have an enlarged base which I have read allows gas to escape until the bullet meets the barrel?? Again, I'm confused.
th

Jacketed HP 125gr
Hornady says to load 5.0gr max (900fps) and I can reduce to 4.5gr.

Speer says to use 5.7gr max (980fps) and do not reduce.

Alliance powder website says to load 5.7gr max (no other recommendations)

So i dont want to over pressurize the gun but neither do I want a squib. Where can I find the correct load for this recipe??

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Use the newest Alliant data online for that spacific bullet. http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx They say for 38 special and that bullet use 5.7gr max. Because that is a standard 38special load and your gun is rated to 38+P I would not worry about spending too much time working up a load. Load some 5.0gr loads and then go to 5.7gr and see how they shoot. If you want to experiment for accuracy you could load from 4.0gr to 5.7gr. Most likely you will find the Max load will be the best. :D :D

mikld

Blackhawk
Normally when loading data is given with one load, it is usually maximum. Common practice is to drop the given load 10% and work up. I don't pay much attention to OAL when loading revolver ammo; I just crimp in the cannalure or crimp groove.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
mikld said:
Normally when loading data is given with one load, it is usually maximum. Common practice is to drop the given load 10% and work up. I don't pay much attention to OAL when loading revolver ammo; I just crimp in the cannalure or crimp groove.
+1 that is always good advice. The 5.6gr load sounds perfect but do try a few that are a little less just to be sure your gun works ok with them. The 38 special is probably the most loaded cartridge in America. That load is probably one of the most popular loads also. As noted, crimp into the top of the groove and then measure. Should be right on or very close. Good luck, let us know how they shoot.

As to your last question I know Remington makes two different bullets in that size/type, one for the 38 special and one for the 357mag. If the nose section is less in diameter the only benefit I can see is that it might be a little easier to chamber the rounds. :D :D

4runnerguy

Bearcat
These bullets have no cannalure so I set them to length and crimped them to the bullet. Nothing to agressive but tight so the bullet doesn't pop from recoil.

ry%3D400

mikld

Blackhawk
4runnerguy said:
These bullets have no cannalure so I set them to length and crimped them to the bullet. Nothing to agressive but tight so the bullet doesn't pop from recoil.

ry%3D400

Kinda looks like a cannalure on the right hand bullet in the pic! :roll:

4runnerguy

Bearcat
mikld said:
Kinda looks like a cannalure on the right hand bullet in the pic! :roll:
So when we talk about a cannalure, I am referring to the groove around the bullet. The GS doesnt have that.

th
th

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
That is an interesting bullet that I am not familiar with. Seems like a jacketed bullet should have a crimp groove.

Also I was wondering about the grooves on your brass. I have seen a lot of brass with a groove where the bullet stops but not multiple grooves in the middle of the case? :?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
anachronism said:
Measure your bullets. They look like 9mms to me. 9mm will be around .355 diameter and 39 Spl will be around .357 to .358.
That is the way they look. Compare.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=12&dimensionids=4294846308&newcategorydimensionid=6258

4runnerguy

Bearcat
anachronism said:
Measure your bullets. They look like 9mms to me. 9mm will be around .355 diameter and 39 Spl will be around .357 to .358.

The label on the bulk box clearly says .38sp .357". The bullet wont fit without expanding the mouth. They are the correct part.

timnc

Single-Sixer
Over the years, I have used 4.6gr Unique & WSP primers with either Ranier or Berry's plated 125gr as a practice load for S&W Airweight & Colt Cobra. At indoor ranges-50' or less- it has worked just fine. Slightly less than factory non +P load.

Precision32

Blackhawk
The loads listed by Hornady and Speer are for THEIR bullets. Each bullet maker does it a little different and use different test data. There should be a note that the loads in the manual are safe in their set-up.

I would load 5.0 g of Unique without worry.

4runnerguy

Bearcat
Well, the ammo worked well. There were no signs of over pressure and the shots grouped better than the Winchester white box stuff I brought along just in case it wasn't right. Its hard to describe but the recoil felt different. not less or more but crisper with the Unique. If I had to describe it, I would say it felt like the Unique powder was more of a crack and the Win white box was more of a push. Or maybe it felt like the Unique had a faster burn rate. Very controllable even one handed.

Now for the bad news. My wife hates the recoil and complained it hurt to shoot even with a glove. So now I have a pink custom painted Ruger LCR to sell. Its only had maybe 100 rds through it.

I could use some advise from everybody. What gun would you recommend I let her test fire? The 38spl is too big. Let me add, I want her to have something she can use to defend herself with so a .22lr is out. I'm looking for something simple and reliable like a revolver. She is just not good with mechanical things.

Thanks

ry%3D400

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Before giving up on the LCR try those 125gr bullets with 4.0gr of Unique for practice.
Didn't know you were going for low-recoil. :D

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
4runnerguy said:
Well, the ammo worked well. There were no signs of over pressure and the shots grouped better than the Winchester white box stuff I brought along just in case it wasn't right. Its hard to describe but the recoil felt different. not less or more but crisper with the Unique. If I had to describe it, I would say it felt like the Unique powder was more of a crack and the Win white box was more of a push. Or maybe it felt like the Unique had a faster burn rate. Very controllable even one handed.

Now for the bad news. My wife hates the recoil and complained it hurt to shoot even with a glove. So now I have a pink custom painted Ruger LCR to sell. Its only had maybe 100 rds through it.

I could use some advise from everybody. What gun would you recommend I let her test fire? The 38spl is too big. Let me add, I want her to have something she can use to defend herself with so a .22lr is out. I'm looking for something simple and reliable like a revolver. She is just not good with mechanical things.

Thanks

ry%3D400

I'd trade that thing for a steel j-frame, or better yet an SP101. Much reduced felt recoil.

dougader

Hunter
You could try a j-frame 32 mag 6-shot revolver. I have the lightweight 431PD and it doesn't kick bad at all with factory ammo. My handloads bring the level up a bit, though, but still less than a 38 special with +P ammo.

Or you could load with less powder and a lead bullet in the 38 Special. You forego expansion, but a swc will penetrate well without the extra recoil.

Rclark

Hunter
Yeah, I think you need a heavier revolver, not a smaller caliber. The Ruger SP-101 or better yet a GP-100 if looking for a DA. Then there is the Ruger BH .357 for a SA. You didn't say 'what for'. Obviously the BH or Gp-100 would not be 'purse' guns... But if you are just looking for a house gun or range gun, they all would work just fine. A nice light load that I reload for my dad is 5g of Trail Boss under 125g bullet. Not much recoil in his sp-101 and like a .22 in my .357 BH. My wife doesn't mind shooting these although she gravitates to her o' .22LR Bearcat for fun shooting.