Primer question for 327 Single Seven 327

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TionestaDoug

Bearcat
Beginning to gather supplies to start reloading for my Ruger Single Seven 327. Using Hornady 100 grain XTP. Getting so much information that varies, thought I would ask for input. Using Lee Turret, so I wish to stay with the recommended CCI primers. Confused as to whether to use CCI 500, or CCI 550 primers. Some sites call for small rifle primers?????? Any recommendations?

dougader

Hunter
I've used CCI 500, 550 and 400 primers with good success. Speer 14 recommends small rifle, Brian Pearce of Handloader magazine said he got the best results with CCI 500 standard small pistol primers, even with W296.

sixshot

Buckeye
I have only loaded SP primers with my 327 loads including H110 (same as 296) with zero problems. I have not tried mag primers yet so can't tell you if there's a difference. I have shot quite a few in cold temps though & thats usually where the problem crops up. My primers have been Winchester SP.

Dick

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I did some serious testing of different primers in the .327 with both cast and jacketed bullets as well as three of my favorite powders. Best accuracy came when I used CCI small pistol magnum primers and 2400 or IMR 4227 but a standard CCI SP primer and Red Dot powder really shines with 115 gr. Cast bullets for target,plinking loads.
CCI small rifle standard primers were about the same as the mag. SP primer and showed no advantage. This is where your results may vary and testing yourself is the only way to know for sure.

I reload for 327, and probably shoot more of that round than any other. I've only used CCI small rifle primers. Didn't read even think to use small pistol. And for powder, I've found W296 has been a favorite. Recently though I tried HS6 and liked it. HP38 is good too, and it just depends on the day but W296 might be a hair more accurate.

Like Chuck just said, experimenting will show you which load is best in your revolver. I have both a 327 Blackhawk and an SP101. And yes they both prefer different loads.

Precision32

Blackhawk
Choice is the great advantage with reloading. You try what sounds like the best idea or load then branch out. Learning to tune loads for your gun is part of the fun.

GooseGestapo

Bearcat
If you are loading high-end loads, use the small-rifle primers. They have a thicker cup therefore better resisting cratering and flowing into the firing pin hole thereby binding the cylinder.
Otherwise, accuracy is where you find it.
Since I mostly shoot Bullseye powder under cast bullets, I use whatever is the cheapest primer I can find. My single7 will pop any workable primer.

TionestaDoug

Bearcat
Thanks guys will use CCI sr got some new cfe pistol powder hope it works well in my Single 7 and sp 101 100grain hornady XTP will see how that gos take care.doug

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Just a note, I tested Federal small pistol primers in all three of my Single Sevens and about half of them were pierced and leaked gas into the firing pin indent. I removed several spent primers,cleaned the debris from the cup and when held up to a strong light a very tiny hole could be seen in the center of every one. Obviously the federal SP primer cups are too thin/soft. They even failed when using the softest mild cast bullet loads.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Federal ( the designer of the cartridge ) recommends using a Standard Small Rifle due to pressure. I expect they recommend this for the fact that their primers have the softest cups of any made.

CCI says their Magnum Small Pistol and Standard Small Rifle are the same primer. I don't load much to max pressures but when I do I use Small Rifle. I will not use a Federal SP primer in any 327 load. Of the 50 or so I've loaded with Federal SP primers about 25% of them were pierced. and this was with a mild load, a 115 grn lead bullet at 950 FPS with Unique.