RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:32 pm 
Single-Sixer

Here's more for you to peruse.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_fil ... 9-932.html

Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:21 am 
Buckeye

Why the big deal on HOLE size ???

As long as ya punch the air bags & 2 holes are suckin wind ,you`ll find ya deer !

Less meat damage is the point I`m saying !

I ruined a whole shoulder once with a 140gr. sierra gamegetter with all the #9AA I dared to put under it , the deer was at 7yds.

Now it`s 357429s or NOEs 360-180 solid points, 1 hole in ,1 hole out , any angle ya wanna shoot from !

But , I`ll say within your range a wadcutter WILL knock a deer down as good as any other design IF the velocity is there & placement is good.

GP

The Only Thing That Limits A Man Is His Imagination!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:03 am 
Single-Sixer

The "Full Wadcutter" article was a good read! I wasn't previously aware of NOE bullet molds. I really like their website. All this makes me conclude that I will get some 148-155 gr wadcutters to try out. I'll start out mild and climb up to warm and see where accuracy and range begin to bicker. And also, I will add bullet casting to my short list of things to learn. I think I will end up with one of the NOE or LBT molds. But that ugly duckling full wadcutter intrigues me. I also saw a 100 gr wadcutter people are using a puff of Bullseye with...I have a six year old who might could appreciate that :) The way prices are now with ammo I can almost load 38 cheaper than buying 22!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:24 am 
Single-Sixer

I don't know if they are enough for deer, I thought you were talking about smaller critters. I would only use a jacketed hollow point or LSWC-HP at full power for deer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:04 am 
Bearcat

:mrgreen: My wife shoots a Thompson G2, 9" barrel in .357 mag. We shoot out to 100yds using
home swaged 205 grain jacketed bullets. These are made using Corbin equipment with the button nose punch. These bullets are long full wadcutter style. Most use 16.5 grains of H4198.
A 165 grain version of the same load uses Power Pistol at 8 grains. Many of the 50 yard groups
are under one inch. I have never seen any unstable shots even at 100 yds. Much of the writings
about full wadcutter shooting is simply NOT true. There is one exception... the very light loads with BE powder.. 2.7 grains say, are probably tumbling beyond 25 yds. My gun, same as my wifes but in .45 auto Rim but 9.5" barrel shoots up to 270 grain button nose mostly at 50 yds
no problem. Think a moment, a deer at 100 yds gets smacked with a 205gr .357 wadcutter pushed with up to 17.0 grains of H4198. Don't think he's going far. These loads are real attention
getters at our local range.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:08 am 
Hawkeye

A hole that passes through is good, but I still prefer the 180g S-JHP Remington bullet from my 357 Magnums......it WILL expand, and its weight and sectional density often allow it, too, to make a pass-through.......

"all my ammo is mostly-retired factory ammo"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:18 am 
Single-Sixer

I have enjoyed hearing everyone's opinions. I will certainly experiment with WC loads in the future and see how much umph they will allow. All I have to load right now are Xtreme SWC plated bullets. So far I am up to 13.4gr of 2400 and 8.2 gr Power Pistol. I don't have anything to write home about yet. I will note that Power Pistol is quite snappy. 8.5 is max and 8.0 has potential for accuracy. 13.gr of 2400 was a good group but a mild load. I hope that the groups tighten up closer to 14 gr. I will eventually reach the limit of the double struck plated bullet. I have already told my bride that an LBT mold would be a good Christmas present.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:52 am 
Shootist

I THINK I'LL NOTE THIS HERE: There is a famous gunwriter who swore me to secrecy who took the largest buck of his career with a 38SPL wadcutter through the lungs. Killed him deader than canned tuna. Deer are easy to kill as they're about as tough as a bag of air and cheese.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:34 pm 
Single-Sixer

WIL TERRY wrote:
I THINK I'LL NOTE THIS HERE: There is a famous gunwriter who swore me to secrecy who took the largest buck of his career with a 38SPL wadcutter through the lungs. Killed him deader than canned tuna. Deer are easy to kill as they're about as tough as a bag of air and cheese.

I like that :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:49 am 
Blackhawk

Years ago, I had good accuracy out to 50 yds or so with DEWC's from my casting efforts, but leading became a problem if I pushed the velocity much at all. I've learned a lot since those early days regarding sizing and lubes, so maybe that's a solvable problem. But for accuracy that's comparable, and velocity up to 1200 fps, a well sized and lubed LSWC does the same trick and doesn't lead up my forcing cone nor the bbl. It's got the same square shouldered design, but is better in most regards. Best Regards, Rod

Thank a Vet for your freedom of speech, religion, and the RIGHT and DUTY to keep and bear arms. Politicians, preachers, reporters, and community organizer's had nothing to do with it. You want change, then vote the bums out...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:18 am 
Single-Sixer

I seem to remember Chuck Taylor taking a deer at 25 yards with a 38 wadcutter too. He was famous for really wringing out handgun/ammo combinations to the final decimal. He would carry and test a gun for an extended length of time, a year IIRC. I remember his tests almost always included a deer hunt. I though he was nuts when he took a deer with a Glock 17, one of the first ones in the country. The man could really turn out an article.

Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:37 pm 
Single-Sixer

GP100man wrote:
Why the big deal on HOLE size ???

As long as ya punch the air bags & 2 holes are suckin wind ,you`ll find ya deer !

Less meat damage is the point I`m saying !

I ruined a whole shoulder once with a 140gr. sierra gamegetter with all the #9AA I dared to put under it , the deer was at 7yds.

Now it`s 357429s or NOEs 360-180 solid points, 1 hole in ,1 hole out , any angle ya wanna shoot from !

But , I`ll say within your range a wadcutter WILL knock a deer down as good as any other design IF the velocity is there & placement is good.

GP

If you don't mind me asking, what load do you use with that 360-180 from NOE? Since I posted this I have been looking at that bullet as well as the 180gr MP mold.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:58 pm 
Hunter

I did some limited work along these lines many years ago when I lived in California. I got decent accuracy out to about 30 yards, give or take but when I tried for more speed, bullets became erratic and lots of keyholing.
One day while at a gun show, I came across an interesting bullet mold; a Lyman #429352, nominally a 245 gr. wadcutter in .44 caliber. I didn't even know such a thing existed. :shock: I loaded up a few in.44 Spl. brass and the very first shot killed my chronograph. To this day I don't know ow that happened as my hold on the rest was good and my sight picture at the shot was right on. I don't even remember the load. If you have the Second Edition Lyman cast bullet manual, there is a picture on page 226, bottom row third bullet on the left.
Reading Ed Harris' article brought that long ago work to mind only I have to wonder how that 250 gr. (in my alloy) wadcutter would work at maybe 900 to 950 FPS in a .44 magnum.In my neck of the desert where one might encounter critter with teeth, claws and some with tusks, I believe I'd feel more comfortable with the bullet hole of the .44 and the bigger hole. Still should work just fine on smaller game as well. My shortest barreled .44 Mag. is a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a Blackhawk frame and Bisley hammer. Barrel length is 4 5/8". Handy to carry but brutal as hell with my full power cast bullet loads. It might be more comfortable with the Bisley grip and frame.
DAMN! As if I didn't have enough projects in the loop. Gonna have to think long and hard on this one.
Paul B.