If I wanted to install a Bisley hammer in a Single six...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

If I wanted to install a Bisely hammer in a recent production .22 Single Six, what hammer do I need? I'm assuming the centerfire Bisley hammer would not work. Any information would be appreciated.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
You need the Bisley Single Six hammer

32custom6.jpg

You will have to grind down the back of the hammer so it will clear the slot in the grip frame.

tek4260

Buckeye
Use the hammer pivot pin to hold the hammers together and scribe both sides, then grind, file and reblue the portion you filed away(if blued)
DSCN0589.jpg

DSCN0594.jpg

DSCN0598.jpg

Thanks--I should have been more specific, in that by 'install,' I meant hand the hammer, weapon, and a fistful of money to my gunsmith, but the technical information is nevertheless interesting. I am hoping the Bisley single six hammer is what Brownells calls a hammer for a 'Bisley small frame.'

flatgate

Hawkeye
.32 magnum New Model Single-Sixes owner fitted with Bisley hammers and a few other features. The 9-1/2" features a brass Super Blackhawk grip frame whereas the 6-1/2" has a stainless steel grip frame. They balance so much better! Note the "set back" triggers, too.

357573210.jpg

JMHO,

flatgate

While my interest in the Bisley hammer is primarily ergonomic, in my opinion the aesthetics of the above pictured .32s is materially improved by the hammer substitution. Can one use the standard trigger with the small Bisley hammer, or does one need to also install a small frame Bisley trigger? Or are all single six triggers alike?

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
You can use the standard trigger, the picture of my Single Six has the standard trigger that came with the Single Six. Not sure what Brownels calls the Single Six bisley hammer, but I did notice just the other day that Gun Parts has them listed for a good price.

For those who might be monitoring this thread with the same idea, I checked with Ruger and they told me the single six hammer is the same as what Brownell's calls the small frame Bisley hammer. Ruger's part number is BR04000B; Brownell's stock number is 780 012 006

I solicited the above information prior to obtain the single six I'd spotted in a pawnshop. Today I purchased the weapon and was pleasantly surprised to find the standard hammer was 'reachable' with the thumb of my shooting hand; such is not the case for me with centerfire Blackhawks. SoI may use it as it came from the box, with no modifications. Still, information is always useful. Thanks to those who responded.

flatgate

Hawkeye
El Bibliotecario said:
I solicited the above information prior to obtain the single six I'd spotted in a pawnshop. Today I purchased the weapon and was pleasantly surprised to find the standard hammer was 'reachable.....

Huh, imagine that? How's about handling the gun long before considering a purchase?

I believe one of the popular "colloquialisms" would be Coon Fingering the item! 8)

:D

flatgate

flatgate said:
El Bibliotecario said:
I solicited the above information prior to obtain the single six I'd spotted in a pawnshop. Today I purchased the weapon and was pleasantly surprised to find the standard hammer was 'reachable.....

Huh, imagine that? How's about handling the gun long before considering a purchase?

flatgate

*laff* But that would have deprived you of the opportunity for a flippant reply.

I wanted to know what installing a Bisley hammer involved before I handled the weapon, so I could negotiate accordingly if the standard hammer didn't work for me. I didn't want to return to the shop for a second examination of the weapon after obtaining the information--I was afraid the salesman would think I was 'hooked' and negotiate accordingly. I'm sorry for any inconveniece to which I put the previous respondents, but since I know little about Rugers, I'm still pleased to have the information.

I'm even more pleased to now have a new-in-the-box adjustible sight Single Six w/extra 22 Magnum cylinder for $327.30 out-the-door. Maybe shooting it will teach me even more about Rugers.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
But have you tried one with a Bisley hammer? :D

I did mine more for the looks rather than the reach. I did add a Super Blackhawk hammer to my Vaquero as I thought it felt better than the reach on the Vaquero hammer. Enjoy that Single Six.

I have indeed tried a Bisley hammer--my two centerfire Rugers are both Bisley models because I much prefer that hammer and grip combination to the traditional configuration, which I find a bit too big for my hand. This is why I was anticipating a hammer replacement before handling the weapon, and was pleased that the stock hammer on the small frame .22 worked for me.

I agree the revolvers in the previous photo in this thread look very elegant with their Bisley hammers. I still might go this route with mine--but right now I'm happy to be in a situation where I can choose to replace the hammer for cosmetic reasons as opposed to having to replace the hammer for function.