LC9 broke on 1st trip to range

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bobbb

Bearcat
Hi folks, first time to post but have been reading all the fairly positive reviews on the LC9 and got one at the gun show today. Disassembled and cleaned it and went to the range. Using WWB FMJ on about the 18th round there was a failure to extract. It did this sporadically for 7 or 8 more rounds and then became continuous. Upon closer inspection I saw that the entire extractor assembly was gone. I searched the floor for the parts and could only find the extractor. This will be my first dealing with Ruger CS...what can I expect?

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
Ruger's customer service is very good. They will absolutely take good care of you. Where did you purchase the gun? You may be able to return it as defective merchandise and simply get a new one in exchange, but if not, Ruger will make you whole again.

bobbb

Bearcat
Bought it from a small dealer from out of town that was here for the gun show. I got his last one. I'll probably do better calling Ruger on Monday.

Gun Fan 70

Single-Sixer
Bummer! Sorry to hear it, but thanks for posting. We like to get the reports, good or bad. Big Stu is right though, Ruger CS is first rate. You wont have any problems dealing with them.

Yawn

Blackhawk
I don''t know what the problem was here, but I can tell you this... There are so many threads that have come up in the last week where a gun has had troubles and they were shooting WWB. Obviously the extractor "falling out" is probably not that, but I goota be honest, after reading what I have been reading, I wouldn't be shocked if WWB ended up being that problem too!

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
LET ME HELP YOU!
Bobb, forget about the hassle of dealing with Ruger. End your anguish today. All you have to do is box up your LC9 and ship it off to me and I'll take it off your hands for free! I'll even pay the frieght. :wink:

bobbb

Bearcat
Well I called Ruger Monday morning and they are going to e-mail me a UPS label. How long does it take them to send it? Should I call them again?

TXRuger

Bearcat
In the 2 times I needed to send my gun back for repair, they sent the shipping label to me via email within 15mins after I called them.

ClayinVA

Bearcat
bobbb said:
Well I called Ruger Monday morning and they are going to e-mail me a UPS label. How long does it take them to send it? Should I call them again?

Based on my experience with them, they probably mailed it that day if you talked to them in the morning. They probably told you this, but be sure to write down the serial number. That way when you call them to find out the status they can find it readily on their system.

bobbb

Bearcat
It's off to Ruger today...they got my e-mail addr wrong on Monday and finally sent me the label late Tuesday. Now the waiting begins...

MoHawk

Bearcat
I pre-order an LC9 and it arrived last week. I went to the LGS to pickup and decided I didn't want the pistol and left without it. After some second thoughts I returned to the LGS this morning and bought the pistol. I immediately went to the range to fire it. On the first mag I appeared to be shooting very low and left. I made a comment to a friend "I surely can't be shooting that bad today". On the second mag I got out the pistol rest and still had the same problem, low & left. I loaded up the 3rd mag, eased the trigger back with no tension on the trigger pull and no "bang". Cleared the pistol reloaded with the same problem. Cleared the LC9 a second time and tried reloading. When releasing the slide, the hammer is following the slide forward. I removed the slide and there appeared to be a problem with the hammer catch & maing spring.

I called Ruger to inform them of the problem and they are sending me a prepaid shipping label. I also instructed them to check the accuracy of the pistol. This is the first time I've had to return a firearm.

lsherwood32

Bearcat
I got mine yesterday and put 200 rounds thru it at range today. It is surprisingly easy to shoot and, so far, without any problems. WWB FMJ used. I also own, use, carry a Taurus 709 Slim, LCP, S&W Bodyguard 380, and I must admit this LC9 is my new fav. Long trigger pull on first shot but reset is perfect. unbelievably accurate pistol, no low and left probs. Used to own a SR9 but had many probs with it and ended up selling it. I'm VERY pleased with this offering from Ruger. I have had no problems carrying it with thumb safety off. Pre bought a second mag. I'm pretty happy at this point.

bobbb

Bearcat
Got my LC9 back from Ruger Wednesday. Was hoping for an extra mag for my troubles but it didn't happen. They reinstalled a new extractor assembly , did a safety function check, and fired 28 rounds (using my magazine) without malfunction. I'll go to the range Sat to check ot out.

ryanjay22

Bearcat
I had the same issues as MoHawk on my first trip to the range. I only put about 30 rounds through it when the trigger stoped working. I too assume that the hammer catch is the issue. I am also hoping they send me an extra mag for my troubles, we will see. Mine, like others are saying was shooting very low as well. Hope they get all their issues worked out with this gun. I was bragging (prematurely) to my buddy (kel tec pf9 owner) how awsome this new lc9 is going to be. So far his is way mor accurate and reliable. Boy do I feel like a fool, crow leaves such an awful taste in your mouth.