unusual & interesting grip woods

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Olsherm

Blackhawk
I have a set a cust grip maker who was working for Bob Munden at the time made them for me.They are a very "orange color".Beautiful but as Cary said the grain kinda runs straight.Kinda looks like yellow orangish pine grain.Very dense wood and hard.I wish I could post a pic of them.

Bob Wright said:
Can't let the thread go by without extolling my knowledge of Osage Orange. As was pointed out, its French name was Bois Des'Arc (close enough) which locally has become Bowed Arc or Bodark.
Bob Wright

That's a 'Horse Apple' tree around here. And the wood gets really hard when dry.

I still favor the Purpleheart Cary made for me.

I've got 4 or 5 pieces of wood that need to be made into something.
Wondered how mahogany would do, good color and very tight grained but little figure. I've got quite a bit of that in boards salvaged from a tear out I did a couple years ago. They used mahogany 2 by 4s!

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I ordered a set of Bubinga grips for one of my Smiths. A couple of weeks ago we had an old apple tree on the property that needed to come down. I have a few long pieces I want cut up and either turned into grips or knife handles, I know it will take it a while to dry out.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Lacewood makes a tough and good looking grip.

GreenRifle029.jpg

toysoldier

Hunter
Osage Orange and Mulberry are closely related, and the wood is virtually identical. The golden color will darken with age. If you get the wood cut just right, it can be pretty, in a subdued way. I put a mulberry handle on a Scottish dirk, and have some blanks I'm saving for the right pistol. Maybe the stainless 1858 Remington replica I picked up at a pawn shop---or would tht be too pimpish?

chris_

Blackhawk
I am curious( I wouldn't ask you professionals to share) what you guys are using to rough out your grips? I have built a lot of furniture, on the order of a hundred pieces, and can't seem to wrap my head around making my own grips. Drives me nuts because I know I ought to be able to.

caryc

Hawkeye
chris_ said:
I am curious( I wouldn't ask you professionals to share) what you guys are using to rough out your grips? I have built a lot of furniture, on the order of a hundred pieces, and can't seem to wrap my head around making my own grips. Drives me nuts because I know I ought to be able to.

14" band saw for re-sawing
12" surface planer

Those two just make things easier.

These I couldn't do without.

Table top drill press
9" bandsaw
Combination 4" X 36" belt sander and 6" disc sander
1" belt sander
Oscillating spindle sander 1/2" thru 3" spindles
router and router table

chris_

Blackhawk
caryc said:
Table top drill press
9" bandsaw
Combination 4" X 36" belt sander and 6" disc sander
1" belt sander
Oscillating spindle sander 1/2" thru 3" spindles
router and router table
Hmmm, I have all of those. Maybe I'll find your address and come peek through the window.

:D

1chig

Bearcat
All the tools mentioned above, But you just gotta have the knack for it imho, i know some people who have worked with wood all there life and still couldnt make a handgun grip :wink:

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
IM000449.jpg
I redid this fine old Model 21 in good ole American Walnut, think it would make fine grips for the BH.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
chris_ It sounds like you have the skills. All you have to do now is get to it.

Find some wood to hack up...
IMG_0481.jpg

Make yourself a plexiglass template if you like. It helps to get that grain to look just right.
IMG_0493.jpg

A band saw and drill press are nice to have also but a coping saw and hand drill will get you there. Lots of whittlin,filin and sandin will get er done.
IMG_0505.jpg

9 or 10 coats of True Oil rubbed down between each coat with 4-o steel wool will make em shine.
Have fun!!

Latest posts