unusual & interesting grip woods

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
I would love to hear what "out of the usual" woods people have had revolver grips made from.

The reason I am asking is because I cut a hawthorn tree down for my dad this weekend and the first thing that struck me about the wood is how dense and heavy is is. My dad who is a retired carpenter was also surprised by this. It appeared very light (almost white) but had some interesting figure and color where the branches came out of the trunk.

I know there are a couple of grip makers who frequent this forum and I would like them to share their thoughts too.

contender

Ruger Guru
I recently got some stuff called;
Ite, or Lapacho wood. it's used as decking I think. But the piece I found has some excellent burl in it. Can't wait to try it out.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I had never seen grips made from mesquite wood until I contacted Cary Chapman, who has been known to post hereabouts. These are the results:

100_56031.jpg

The .44 at top has Bolivian rosewood, the .45 macascar ebony:

Twoofmyfavorites.jpg

Bob Wright

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I always thought American persimmon wood might be interesting for a pair of grips. I know that it was/is used for golf club woods. I'd like to have a set for one of my Blackhawks. Persimmon is a true ebony, but it is lighter in color. Besides, I like to eat them in the fall.

I also don't see a lot of grips made of pecan.

caryc

Hawkeye
VAdoublegunner said:
I always thought American persimmon wood might be interesting for a pair of grips. I know that it was/is used for golf club woods. I'd like to have a set for one of my Blackhawks. Persimmon is a true ebony, but it is lighter in color. Besides, I like to eat them in the fall.

I also don't see a lot of grips made of pecan.

People don't usually stand around admiring the grain in a persimmon wood golf club.

There are a lot of hardwoods. A lot of it is used for flooring and custom cabinetry. But what most people forget or don't think about is that there is very little viewing area in a plow handle type gun grip.

As I've said before, one can look at a piece of wood that might make a beautiful top for a jewelry box, but if you cut something as small as a gun grip out of it, you lose all that pretty grain.

It takes exceptional wood to make a pretty gun grip. I once had a guy send me some left over wood that he had from having some flooring done in his house. I forgot what exactly the wood was but when I got the Bisley grips done, it was just a pair of brown grips with very little grain if any visible in it. I would have never considered making a pair of grips out of that stuff but the guy insisted that was want he wanted.

If you have any wood that you think might make good gun grips, do what I usually tell people to do. Take a 3" by 5" index card and trace out a gun grip on it. Now carefully cut out that gun grip shape leaving the outside of the card in tact. Place this card on the wood to see what a gun grip would look like if cut from it.

You can also put some rubbing alcohol in a plastic spray bottle and spray the wood with it to see what the color would look like with finish applied to it.

The alcohol will evaporate and not soak into the wood. Do not do this with water as you don't want to introduce any moisture to the wood.

41manor44

Single-Sixer
BB Rvlr I have some panels that are from some different wood. The top one is red heart and the bottom one is purple heart and walnut.
P1300002-1.jpg

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
caryc said:
If you have any wood that you think might make good gun grips, do what I usually tell people to do. Take a 3" by 5" index card and trace out a gun grip on it. Now carefully cut out that gun grip shape leaving the outside of the card in tact. Place this card on the wood to see what a gun grip would look like if cut from it.

You can also put some rubbing alcohol in a plastic spray bottle and spray the wood with it to see what the color would look like with finish applied to it.

The alcohol will evaporate and not soak into the wood. Do not do this with water as you don't want to introduce any moisture to the wood.

Great advice Cary. Thank you! I also have some mulberry pieces at home that I don't think would pass your test.

Does anybody have experience with hawthorn wood?

I find this very interesting. Keep the replies and pics coming.

Salmoneye

Single-Sixer
I made these out of Red Cedar a few weeks back...Everyone was telling me that it was too soft...Other than learning to be careful while drilling, I have not been able to ding them up yet, and they have been on my daily shooter...

m7b6z5.jpg

caryc

Hawkeye
I've made iron wood grips in the past and they did turn out beautiful. However the stuff is called iron wood for a reason.

I don't make them any more. I might make a pair for myself if I ran across a particularly beautiful piece of wood but the stuff just eats up too much sanding media; belts, discs and sleeves that it gets rather expensive.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer

I found your story about the hawthorne wood and the origin of it interesting.

In some cases it may not be a particular grain or appearance of the wood itself, plucked out of some anonymous rain forest in some foreign land, that makes it special. Sometimes one may want to have a set of grips made from a certain piece of wood or tree for a special reason. That's one of the reasons I would like to have a pair of grips made from persimmon. I have a Japanese maple tree that is dying in my yard. For many reasons, I would like to have a set of grips made from its wood since it has a special meaning to me, and will at some point regardless of whether they are they are the most attractive or not. It seems a more fitting end and remembrance than just ending up in the fireplace.

Volusianator

Bearcat
Salmoneye said:
I made these out of Red Cedar a few weeks back...Everyone was telling me that it was too soft...Other than learning to be careful while drilling, I have not been able to ding them up yet, and they have been on my daily shooter...

m7b6z5.jpg

LOVE the knots!

caryc

Hawkeye
VAdoublegunner said:

I found your story about the hawthorne wood and the origin of it interesting.

In some cases it may not be a particular grain or appearance of the wood itself, plucked out of some anonymous rain forest in some foreign land, that makes it special. Sometimes one may want to have a set of grips made from a certain piece of wood or tree for a special reason. That's one of the reasons I would like to have a pair of grips made from persimmon. I have a Japanese maple tree that is dying in my yard. For many reasons, I would like to have a set of grips made from its wood since it has a special meaning to me, and will at some point regardless of whether they are they are the most attractive or not. It seems a more fitting end and remembrance than just ending up in the fireplace.

No one said sentiment can't enter into the reasons for a particular wood. I doubt there was any sentiment about the piece of flooring material the gentleman sent me for his grips. Other than remembering when he got his new floor. Maybe he really loved that floor. :shock:

If you're going to use that Japanese Maple, make sure you prepare the wood correctly or you'll just end up with firewood.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Have a pair of curly red oak on a BH and some Koa on a brass Bisley. I tend to favor the less fancied up grains and patterns.

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
I have often thought that I would like to get a piece of wood from the stairway of my grandparents farm. The people that own it now would think I'm a nut if I asked

Salmoneye

Single-Sixer
BlkHawk73 said:
I tend to favor the less fancied up grains and patterns.

If I think of it tomorrow, I'll post a pic or two of some Ash that I did...

Beautiful medium brown color, but straight grain, and 'boring' according to some I have shown them to...

Salmoneye

Single-Sixer
These are the Ash grips I mentioned...Not the most 'interesting' wood, but good and solid, and IMNSHO they are better looking than OEM stained Walnut...Nothing but maybe 5 coats of BLO on them...

Quarter sawn with a chainsaw lol...

29xepz5.jpg

a3pcw6.jpg