Do you refrigerate ketchup after opening

• Yes

Votes: 71 89.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 10.1%

• Total voters

dstegjas

Single-Sixer
Never really thought much about it. My wife puts the ketchup in the pantry before and after it's opened. The rest of the condiments go in the fridge after they are opened. I have always had a cast iron stomach. My wife grumbles a lot about me never having heartburn. My mom has a lot of stories about things I ate growing up that should have made me sick.

The sad part is I will probably get run over by some illegal from Guatemala that shouldn't be here or driving anyway. So the debate on if I should refrigerate ketchup or not is a ways down on my list of concerns.

Chief 101

Hunter
I don't think I have ever found anything in ketchup to like...I can't remember now but I think I have tried it...:cautious::cautious:

I just read something from Hellman's Mayo that said it should be refrigerated, except for the smaller squeeze-bottle that can be left out, as on restaurant tables. Ketchup and mustard don't need refrigeration.

Last edited:

harley08

Blackhawk
Bored waiting for a part to cool...did some reading and it sounds like you won't die if stored at room temps for maybe
30 days in closed bottles but will keep flavor and consistency better in the fridge.
I have plenty of room in the fridge so there's it's home. Now if I had to choose between beer and ketchup...
Beer! may a small bottle of ketchup!

Timbo23

Plinker and accumulator
In the days before refrigeration, food was preserved by salting, dehydrating, and pickling with vinegar.
Mustard is pickled with vinegar so it could stay outside the fridge. Other pickled vegetables could be too but I think they taste better cold.
Ketchup/catsup is a toss up to me. I think it taste best at room temp, but I don't know how well it keeps at room temp.
Mayonnaise is emulsified egg and oil with spices, so I think it would be liable to spoil quickly
Next time you make a grilled sandwich, try coating the outside of the bread with mayo. You may like the difference.

gnappi

Blackhawk
Unless someone is 700 pounds and is saving room in the fridge for snack food I see no reason to keep condiments out. It's easy enough to get relish, mustard and ketchup to room temperature by letting it sit for a while on a counter or nuking a small amount.