First Heart Attack!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

2019, April 10th, For good or bad I had not seen a doctor for over 40 years.... main artery was blocked 100% for right at two hours.... wife is the first on the list of folks that saved me... by dialing 911 and then stuffing a hand load of baby aspirin in my mouth.. ambulance showed up in 2 minutes.... got an EKG result in about another 2..... threw me on the stretcher and took off... EMT gave me two nitro pills back to back trying to keep me alive .... I'm pretty sure he knew I was done for but did not want me to go while on the ride.... more paper work.... flew out of the ambulance and the first guy in the hall spent less than 20 seconds and cut all my clothes off... 65minutes after the 911 call, stint was in and artery was back open.

Marshal Too Sweet

Single-Sixer
Glad you are feeling better, takes a while to get over. I had two this time last year, a week apart. No chest pain at all, fingers started hurting on both hands, then arms, shoulders. A little shortness of breath. I drove myself to the ER both times. Still don't feel great but I'm alive.

I was very lucky and found out that I had heart problems before having any real symptoms. I had been a runner since giving up smoking at 36, and almost 20 years later was still running daily but only doing about 2 miles because I would be out of breath. I thought it was just because I was getting older. I was changing jobs and went for a full physical on my soon to be ending health insurance and they found that I had 90-95% blockage in five major heart vessels. The next morning I had quintuple coronary bypass surgery. That was 27 years ago and my heart is doing just fine since then, in part because I was started on cholesterol meds as well as meds for moderately high blood pressure.

Getting decent medical care early can save your life. Eight years ago I had a kidney stone and the doc asked me if I was OK with having a CAT scan to locate and size the stone and I said sure, go for it. On the scan he saw a mass on my other kidney, which turned out to be cancer. I had surgery which removed that kidney and found that the cancer was totally enclosed within that kidney and had not yet spread at all. Now, 8 years later, I am doing fine with one kidney and have been cancer free.

The moral of the story is to be aggressive with your doctors in checking out problems and maybe you'll get lucky as I did with finding potentially life ending problems before they get to the point of killing you.

JackBull

Buckeye
I was very lucky and found out that I had heart problems before having any real symptoms. I had been a runner since giving up smoking at 36, and almost 20 years later was still running daily but only doing about 2 miles because I would be out of breath. I thought it was just because I was getting older. I was changing jobs and went for a full physical on my soon to be ending health insurance and they found that I had 90-95% blockage in five major heart vessels. The next morning I had quintuple coronary bypass surgery. That was 27 years ago and my heart is doing just fine since then, in part because I was started on cholesterol meds as well as meds for moderately high blood pressure.

Getting decent medical care early can save your life. Eight years ago I had a kidney stone and the doc asked me if I was OK with having a CAT scan to locate and size the stone and I said sure, go for it. On the scan he saw a mass on my other kidney, which turned out to be cancer. I had surgery which removed that kidney and found that the cancer was totally enclosed within that kidney and had not yet spread at all. Now, 8 years later, I am doing fine with one kidney and have been cancer free.

The moral of the story is to be aggressive with your doctors in checking out problems and maybe you'll get lucky as I did with finding potentially life ending problems before they get to the point of killing you.
Id check on the importance of cholesterol, especially for your brain. Never met a doctor I trust, including vets.

Last edited:

Armybrat

Buckeye
I have 4 stent implants - 1st one 23 years ago, two more in 2023, and the last one in '18 after my heart attack (That stent went inside the original one). One was to clear a 100% blockage.

The heart attack felt like someone hit me between the shoulder blades with a baseball bat. My left arm felt like it had been arm-rasslin' with the Hulk.
Luckily there was very little muscle damage.

But this fall I'll be up for the aorta valve replacement.
Am 78, hoping to make 80.

As far as doctors go, I would've been dead 20 years ago if not for their knowledge & skills.

CVD has run in my family for at least four generations.