Mountain Lion Attack El Dorado County

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Iguanason

Bearcat
One young man was killed and his brother suffered severe injuries while out collecting shed antlers. The lion was caught and killed. It weighed 90 pounds. Obviously they did not have a firearm, but should two young men not be able to defend against a 90-pound lion?

One young man was killed and his brother suffered severe injuries while out collecting shed antlers. The lion was caught and killed. It weighed 90 pounds. Obviously they did not have a firearm, but should two young men not be able to defend against a 90-pound lion?
Seems folks forget that humans are not an apex predator. In fact, based on our physiology we are prey animals. Not only prey animals but ones that are slow, weak and have no significant teeth or claws. Once we enter into the woods unarmed we are simply asking for it.

In many cases animals have developed a fear of man based on the fact that man, when armed has killed animals. But California has outlawed mountain lion hunting for decades. No where in California do lions have a fear of man. In fact as attacks have proven lions look at man as their next meal.

They could have defended themselves against it and drove it off only to bleed out after the attack was over.
You are not going to survive blood loss for very long.
Apparently, the brothers got separated. The younger one survived. The older one when located by deputies still had the lion "crouching over him". The media and officials haven't said, but it sounds like the cat was feeding. The deputies "fired their service weapons to scare the cat off". I don't know what El Dorado county sheriffs carry, but even a 9 mm will kill a mountain lion. Assuming they were actually capable of hitting it. And the ability to hit the cat is in serious doubt when one looks at the marksmanship of the average LEO.

Apparently, the brothers got separated. The younger one survived. The older one when located by deputies still had the lion "crouching over him". The media and officials haven't said, but it sounds like the cat was feeding. The deputies "fired their service weapons to scare the cat off". I don't know what El Dorado county sheriffs carry, but even a 9 mm will kill a mountain lion. Assuming they were actually capable of hitting it. And the ability to hit the cat is in serious doubt when one looks at the marksmanship of the average LEO.
OK, I didn't search for a story.no way I'd want to tangle with a 90 pound cat.
Years ago I saw what a 22-24 pound female Ocelot did to a 90lb German Shepard that was
unlucky and dumb enough to corner and attack the cat. And that cat wasn't trying to kill and
eat the dog.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Can I assume that if they shot the cat they would have been arrested for a host of charges....?
Appears that they were "lucky" they didn't go to jail.

J.

Seems folks forget that humans are not an apex predator. In fact, based on our physiology we are prey animals. Not only prey animals but ones that are slow, weak and have no significant teeth or claws. Once we enter into the woods unarmed we are simply asking for it.

In many cases animals have developed a fear of man based on the fact that man, when armed has killed animals. But California has outlawed mountain lion hunting for decades. No where in California do lions have a fear of man. In fact as attacks have proven lions look at man as their next meal.
Prey with both eyes on the front of the face. Unique.

Tough deal. Frankly California is to blame. Not much a couple of young people are going to do with many various animals. If California doesn't see a need to protect the population against wildlife, probably it's not going to happen. Parents assume nothing has ever happened before, probably won't happen this time.
This could happen a lot of places.

The closest 'interaction' I've had with a mountain lion was in Montana about 40 years ago. I'd shot an elk about 3-3.5 miles from end of road and was packing the meat out while the others were still hunting. Five trips in/out and on four of them, a ML had followed me (or at least the cat tracks were imprinted on top of mine) for quite a distance. Several times the cat had moved off to one side(always the uphill direction) and at one point, I found where the cat had laid behind a large boulder as if in ambush.
I assure you that my head was on a swivel and the other hunters would move into the meat stash ahead of me to make sure the cat wasn't on the stash. I carried a walking staff and a 44 handgun in a chest holster but never got a single glimpse of the cat.
Kind of makes the hair stand up on back of my neck just thinking about how close the cat might have been numerous times.