Your Next $200

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Our Monday morning big-bellied-white-boy coffee group got focused (a rare occurrence) on the best way, in these times of our nation, to spend the next wad of pocket money in the realm of shooting sports.

Not a lot of "prepper" talk, most understand what choices we'll have if we have any choices at all. So we stay away from that type of banter. Besides there are some cattlemen in the room, and prepper-talk gets their attitudes up & running... :shock: And supporting lobbying efforts rose to the top of course - but most of the group are Life members of the NRA/GOA already. Its kind of a pre-requisite.

The prevailing answer most agreed upon was - canister gun powder. Two-hundred bucks worth can fetch at least 8 lbs or more of almost anything around here. The newer copper-defouling powders can add a few bucks. These seem to be the favorites here (I think it is related to age and wisdom 8) ).
A few votes for cheap imported ammo, mostly from the guys who don't load. A couple suggested AR and military-pattern guns, but that cannot be reasoned without getting into one candidate's stated agenda - political talk is off-limits.

Then one BBWB recalled he had seen one-lb jugs of Tite-Group for under $20 at a LGS. Suddenly everyone ponied for the check and had someplace to go...

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I try hard not to stock too much powder and primers because age can have an effect on them. I would have to inventory what I have now and figure which powders that I use the most etc. before I would spend that $200. My rule of thumb is to try and not keep powder and primers more than 2 or 3 years before using them up and of course storing them indoors in a/c.

...and that is not to say that powder and primers won't last longer than several years but given a choice I would rather invest in things like guns that I know will not deteriorate over time. :D

Bearcat

Blackhawk
I'd buy 20 or so good AR magazines as, regardless of who is president in 2017, they will likely be part of a high-cap magazine ban. There will be some new restrictions, even with total Republican control.

375supermag

Blackhawk
Hi...

Well stocked on brass, primers, powder and bullets as well as more than enough firearms(although I could always use a few more).
My next purchase is on order...a Cimmaron SA old model in .44Special, just waiting for delivery.
I still haven't sent in an order for some new Starline handgun brass. I have thousands of pieces of brass in almost any handgun caliber that I shoot but I do want to acquire about 500 new cases in the larger revolver calibers.

The most likely place I would spend $200 on is to augment my stash of bullets.