WTS: Remington 788 in 30-30

Help Support Ruger Forum:

This is a very early rifle with a walnut stock. Not many were made in 30-30. The wood has been refinished. The original sights are included as well as scope bases. This would be great cheap fun for you bullet casters. A great example of a fairly scare rifle. I have only fired a couple rounds through it for function and it seems to work great. $475 shipped CONUS. Sorry no trades.

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
That's not even close to a record. I sold a revolver here in 5 minutes and once bought a Chris Reeve knife 1 minute after it was listed.

jpickar

Blackhawk
The 788 30-30 I had was one of thew most accurate rifles I have owned besides my 280 rem.

John

Johnnu2

Hunter
The Rem. 788 is, in my humble opinion, the most accurate mass produced rifle that I've ever come across. I've had several in various calibers and have been consistently amazed at how accurate they are right out of the box with handloads. Even my 7mm-08 was a tack driver.... GOOD PURCHASE.

spook1

Bearcat
I would love to find one of these, preferably in really bad shape. Ohio is allowing some straight walled cases for deer now in rifles. I would love to have one to rebarrel to 375 winchester, which is an allowable case. If any one finds one or has one with a messed up barrel, then give me a heads up. I figure if I find a a nice one their is no way I could bring myself to rebarrel it.

k22fan

Blackhawk
I owned a 788 in .30-30 and two in .44 mag. If not for criminal(s) I'd still have them. I found VERY accurate cast reloads the first day out with the .30-30. IMO it is the most accurate production .30-30 rifle! The .44s readily produced 1 ¼" 5 shot 100 yd. groups with jacketed bullets. My Ruger #3 .44 mag was more accurate with cast bullets. It was my understanding that approximately the same number of 788 and #3 .44s were manufactured, around 250-300 each.

One thing to watch for in the 788s for rimmed cartridges is broken off ejector/cartridge guides. It seems about half of them broke off and they've only occasionally been available custom made by shops like Jack First (? Spelling).

spook1 said:
I would love to find one of these, preferably in really bad shape. Ohio is allowing some straight walled cases for deer now in rifles. I would love to have one to rebarrel to 375 winchester, which is an allowable case. If any one finds one or has one with a messed up barrel, then give me a heads up. I figure if I find a a nice one their is no way I could bring myself to rebarrel it.

can't help you with a rem but how about a Winchester Big Bore in 375?
I've got one of them that I've been thinking about selling

spook1

Bearcat
I was wanting to build a bolt action 375 instead of a lever. I appreciate the offer on the winchester though.

Latest posts