WTS Bowen 50 Special Blackhawk w Fishpaw Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

zac0419

Single-Sixer
Selling the last Bowen in my safe. I have found out I play too hard for blued guns and have a hard time bringing it out without worrying. It is a full custom with a 4.25 inch barrel. Bisley hammer. etc

(Since buying it from cubrock)

Ok, There are maybe 50-75 less bullets and about the same number of brass has been turned from unfired to once, or once to twice, I can't remember and haven't broke out everything yet. I have also parted with 100pc of virgin brass so it only comes with 380pcs now.

The gun got an idiot mark on the base of the frame and a small scuff on the cylinder front edge when it fell from a soft gun case about 2.5' to a tile floor. I could't live with it so it got sent to Bowen to be fixed up pretty. He retested everything and all to make sure it still ran like glass. It looks brand new. I have a letter from Bowen stating this I will provide with the gun and he test shot it at his place but has been a safe queen and unshot since returning home. I've been exclusively playing with the 475's the last few years and haven't toyed with the .50 at all. The metal is perfect.

I was entertaining some sales to a member recently and noticed a fracture, crack, ?? I don't know what to call a crack that could be barely seen, didn't go all the way through, but could be felt with the fingernail. My heart sank. I called Roy Fishpaw and he said send them in for inspection. He said he could repair them and it wouldn't be noticeable unless you were REALLY looking for it. He said the repair would be as strong as original and shouldn't be an issue moving forward.

Because of the repaired Fishpaw grips I am knocking $300 off what i believe it to be worth and I will be asking for $3950 shipped insured. I know it's a lot but I'm pretty sure it'll get that for a turn key .50sp with all the goodies to get it up and running. The extras alone are worth between $700 and $900.

I just took pics today please ask for more if wanted. Please see the gallery.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dv2rm1wONO66uTpV2

Here's the description from the original ad from Steve (Cubrock) that enticed me into buying....

The stocks are dated 7-11-96, serialed to the gun, and stamped "RCF" on the inside. One of the panels also has an adhesive label on the inside identifying the wood as Claro Walnut.

The brass is all marked .348 Winchester. I don't think Ben Forkin had any specially made with the .50 Special headstamp, at least at that time. As far as I know, he was making it all from .348 Winchester brass.

Finally, the original owner saw the ad and PMed me the following:

"The gun dates to 1994 and yes, the grips were by Roy Fishpaw. The original invoice shows custom front sight, install hammer, and install/ fit Colt tube and rod. Most, if not all the brass was made by Ben Forkin."

This is mid-1990s Bowen .50 Special built on a Ruger Super Blackhawk frame, though it more resembles a standard Blackhawk given the steel XRN-3RED grip frame. It would have been one of Bowen's first .50 Specials given when it was commissioned. I don't remember the exact year, but it was around 1996, if I recall correctly. I purchased this from the dealer who got it from the original owner. I later talked to the original owner and got info on the gun and bought his leftover components, which comprise the bulk of what is in this package. I added the two bullet molds, one of which I had Mountain Molds make to duplicate best I could the 360-grain bullet that was in the component lot that shot so well out of the gun. This gun will shoot true 1" groups at 25 yards with the right loads and if you do your part. It is one of the more accurate revolvers I've owned. It really likes a 360-ish grain bullet over 9.5-10 grains of Unique. We played around with various loadings and got good results in that range. My recollection was we were getting about 975fps out of that load. Recoil was noticeable, but less than shooting a .44 Magnum in that size gun, and was a push, rather than being whippy like a magnum load.

The gun is in excellent condition. It does not look new, but does look pretty close. It has a turn line and a couple minor marks here and there, but it has been very well taken care of. I never got a chance to take it hunting, so it hasn't seen leather since I've owned it. The stocks were made by Roy Fishpaw. They are very nice and perfectly fitted. They are among the nicest stocks I have ever held in my hands.

I do not have a copy of the build sheet. I never got one and didn't feel the need to have one, as it is obvious it is a ground-up custom job. The lock-up is as tight as one can get with a Ruger. The action and trigger pull are about perfect. I would guess the trigger break is around 3ish pounds - about as light as I would want for a hunting gun.

The updated reloading extras consist of the following:

.50 Special 3-die set - RCBS
Mountain Mold - 360-370ish grain wide flat nose, gas checked. Unused
Lee Custom mold - 325 grain 6-cavity. Unused
Brass - about 380 pieces, about 60/40 fired and unfired, if I recall correctly. It all came from Ben Forkin back when the gun was bought
Bullets - 300 pieces, 350 to 360 grain WFN gas checked. There are two styles that you can tell apart by sight, or by weight. Both shot well, but the 360 shot a bit better.

Because the grips being repaired might bother some folks. If you want to buy it I will send the grips to you prior to completing the sale. I pay to send them out. If you decline, you pay to send them back. Best I can do to ensure there are no surprises.

I will consider breaking this into 2 payments.

I'll take it, followed by PM get's it. No "I'll take it" and it's still for sale.

cubrock

Blackhawk
Booshog said:
Somebody needs to buy this so eskimo36 doesn't wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it......!

Or, cubrock....

cubrock

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
Zac,

Are you sure that's a steel grip frame?

The # XRN-3RED given by cubrock is the alum alloy grip frame.

It is steel. Cubrock just made a mistake in the listing.