WTK: Ruger Tri-color round-gate?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Valmet

Single-Sixer
Did Ruger manufacture any LW Tri-colors with the round gate? I've always believed that the flatgate was "correct," but have seen a handful with roundgates and am wondering if these were simply switched out? Any info is appreciated.

street

Hunter
Yes. A small amount of the tri-colors were shipped with a round gate. Those shipped after March 7, 1957. Just about all, (all blue) with Alum. cylinders have round loading gates. All steel cylinder blue lightweights have round loading gates. Information from RENE. The "S" Lightweights came both ways. Some with flatgates, and some with round loading gates.

If you happen to be referring to this one: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/694724597 looks like a Premier round gate was installed (an aftermarket that was made very early after Ruger introduced the flatgates) - even if your not referring to this one - it seems like a good deal and a 3 digit gun to boot. The front sight can be fixed rather easy.

Yessir, good info above and I agree it is a "Premiere Co" loading gate and with that serial number ,most likely was a flat loading gate...lots of them changed over the years, tough to open when the 'flat' gate get "coagulated" in place ( rusted inside) LACK of oil.........

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
I don't think the premier loading gate would decrease the collector value. Premier loading gates are collectabe by themselves.

if the price is RIGHT, a no brainer, easy enough change to put it back to original, with NO harm done, and besides if you do use it, the round gate is far better, easier on the finger tips or your finger nails, that's WHY they changed it!

street

Hunter
Yes to the above information. As nice of gun that it is, I wouldn't let that be a problem. I once had a Factory Engraved Single-Six that had a premier loading gate and I left it on. As stated above they are collectible on their own.

I once bought a Single-Six BECAUSE it has a Premier loading gate and a set of plastic Franzite fake stag grips. It's in better-than-average condition for what is actually a Type 2 Flatgate, and I refer to it as my "retro" gun.

:mrgreen: :p :mrgreen:

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
It is interesting to note what the Single Six owners of the mid to late '50's did to their revolvers to fix them up the way they wanted them- without any view to what collectors many years later might think about it. Premier also made an ejector rod, more like the Colt. And who doesn't like to find one with the Micro sights addition!

exactly right, with Mr Rugers' attempt to make his gun LOOK and be a bit different than the "Colts" of the day, the users, owners, found the flatgate hard on the thumb nail, the small rounded serrated button , on the ejector rod,slid out of control of the fingers, and the sights needed a bit to be desired, ergo , Micro did a fine job of getting you the adjustable ones.......same with the grips,many others offered grips of different materials as well as size........give the customer what he wants, feels he "needs", 8) :roll: :wink: to make his 'better'