WTB: .22 target rifles (cash or trade)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BigIron6

Single-Sixer
I'm looking to buy one or a few .22 target rifles. I'm getting my son into shooting and want him to have a few to choose from. If you have one or know of some please let me know.

I'm looking for single shots (ex: Stevens Wanut Hill, Marlin Ballard, etc.)

Or bolt actions (ex: Winchester 52B,C,D,E or Model 75)

I know there are newer products out there but I plan to start him on American classic rifles to teach him about shooting, collecting, and the American heritage through classic American steel and walnut.

Thanks guys

jsh

Single-Sixer
If your trying to really spark your sons interest, it has to fit him not you. So don't forget that. I have seen a lot of that type of thing happen and the youngsters get frustrated as does the parent. It shoots excellent for dad yet the youngster as to stretch out into an unnatural position.

The CZ rifles are a platform that I see a lot of the 4H shooting sports kids having good success with. Some of the Anshutz rifles are built so they can grow into them, stock wise.
I would not turn up my nose at a high quality air gun either. Beauty of that is it can be shot in the garage or basement fairly easy. A good quality air gun also deserves high quality pellets, not that crap from Wally World.

Do as you wish. I did the same for my son. I went the way of his interest which happened to be milsurps. I drew a line in the sand when it came to the semi autos when old dad was footing the bill for ammo. He found out about girls and I lost him for the time being......

artey

Single-Sixer
Man alive I wish my father had loaded up on Ballards when I was a kid! Good luck with your search, you son will thank you.

kevin masten

Blackhawk
One of the best starter rifles is the youth Winchester 67 or Remington youth in the various 5 series single shot. Also Stevens. Still available and mostly reasonable. Some of the ones you mention are rather pricey now. I started my children on the Winchester and Remington types. Worked out well and my children still have them.

Just an opinion

Regards

Another one would be a standard Henry .22 youth. You can still operate it as a single shot and what kid doesn't like a lever action. Then as he gets bigger you can go to the adult size or remove the buttstock and add a full size stock.

diffy40

Single-Sixer
Sent you a PM
I have a few older Savage 22's from I think the fifties that I would part with.
Savage Model 3 Bolt Single Shot $ 80.00
Savage Model 4 Bolt Removable Magazine $ 120.00
Savage Model 5 Tube Fed $ 140.00
Plus shipping on all.

I few more after digging a little:
Winchester Model 60 Bolt $150.00
Winchester Model 67A Bolt $175.00
Winchester Model 72 Bolt $275.00
Mossberg Model 42C $90.00
Sears (Stevens) Model 40 $75.00

These are all in good condition for 60-80 year old rifles that have had some field time.

maduecehb

Bearcat
H&R Model 12 22lr single shot 24" heavy bbl. target sights good bore and good wood$550 shipped

Steve

papa shooter

Bearcat
I would recommend looking for an Anshutz Achiever. My daughter got one when she was 12, now at 42 she still shoots informal smallbore silhouette with it. It comes with plastic inserts to add to the stock as the child grows. My daughter still prefers her open sights she grew up with on hers.

Tim

bobdufus

Bearcat
Have you considered a Remington 521T "Junior Special"? I believe they were used for NRA youth programs in the post war period. Basically a scaled down version of the 513T used for WWII rifle training. Has correct Lyman rear aperture sight. I have one in good shape. Mfg 1948. Send me a PM if interested, Bob

BigIron6

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the replies guys. I already have a few of my own in the collection, but want him to have some responsibility with ownership. I do appreciate all the posts and will be reaching out to a few of you about mentioned guns...if I don't respond directly to you it's not because of anything other than I want a true target rifle. We have plenty of "squirrel getters". Thanks again and still on the hunt.

targeteer

Bearcat
I have a Remington M540X, 22lr, 25" heavy barrel w/ counterbored crown, Redfield Target micrometer
receiver sights & globe front sight, full forearm adjustable track w/ palm rest & swivel, adjustable
sliding buttplate, Cond: 96% blue 93% wood $425

Email replies ONLY please [email protected]

targeteer said:
I have a Remington M540X, 22lr, 25" heavy barrel w/ counterbored crown, Redfield Target micrometer
receiver sights & globe front sight, full forearm adjustable track w/ palm rest & swivel, adjustable

Now there's a great target rifle! Fairly priced too, IMO. :)

I used to shoot a Remington Model 37 Range Master back in my junior shooting years. An honest and literal tack driver. 8)

I would recommend at least a Remington 513T for beginners. Enough rifle to compete at beginning adult level after graduating from junior competition, without breaking the bank.

DGW1949

Hunter
Watchman said:
targeteer said:

Now there's a great target rifle! Fairly priced too, IMO. :)

I used to shoot a Remington Model 37 Range Master back in my junior shooting years. An honest and literal tack driver. 8)

I would recommend at least a Remington 513T for beginners. Enough rifle to compete at beginning adult level after graduating from junior competition, without breaking the bank.

I agree.
The 513T was a heck of nice rifle, and came with sights that are as good as I've ever used. If a guy can't make good hits with one of those, spending 2X more for something more modern ain't likely to help him much.

DGW

BigIron6

Single-Sixer
Just for my own sanity... What's the difference between my 521T and the 513T? Mine is not stamped "junior special".

greystonedog

Bearcat
I have duplicate Remington 510's that are pre war . serial number on bottom of the barrel, excellent 95% condition original blue and varnish. Can email you photos if you are interested. $300 shipped to FFL or C&R. May also consider selling my grooved Rem 511 in similar condition if you want the repeater or wish to mount a scope.