Williams Firesights for 99/44 Deerfield

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
Just curious if any of you guys have had any experience with the Williams Firesights for the Ruger Deerfield carbine?

I finally bit the bullet and purchased a nice Deerfield off Gunbroker after coming to terms with what these rifles are selling for now. I didn't get a steal, but jumped on the first low use one I found below $1k. I have scopes and red dots on most of my other guns, but was considering shooting this one open sights for a while with this little guy. If you shoot open sights, what kind of accuracy are you getting?

267525.jpg

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I enjoy target shooting with mine. After using the factory sights I went with a 4X scope and then switched to a Red Dot sight. I can shoot most rounds into 3" at 50 yards. It is definitely not a tack driver but it is a fun shooter. :D

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I have the williams sights. Like them alot. Hated the folding peep original to the gun. I cannot shoot open sights worth a damn so I am not the best to give accuracy reports. That said I am certain I can put every round in the vitals out to 100 yards with a peep and a fiber optic. Start measuring the group and it won't be very pretty :lol:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I went a little different route before switching to a scope. I used the Williams, but for an aperture went with a Merit adjustable. And up front I used a Lyman 17 globe with a circle insert instead of a blade. I didn't hunt with it - paper targets and stationary odds & ends. Out to about 100 yds there was no difference in accuracy between the scope & irons.

GR8_Outdoorsman

Single-Sixer
I appreciate the feedback guys. I'm sure that I'll end up putting another optic on this gun as well, but looking forward to giving the peep sights a try for a bit.

pete44ru

Hunter

I used the issue peep sight on my 99/44, but added a Williams FireSight front sight blade the same height as the issue front sight blade.

FO sights are about the best sights available for fast shooting in a hunting situation - especially in those dark, shaded area often encountered in buck bedrooms, and during those critical hours @ dawn & sunset, between darkness & shooting light.

They are NOT for target shooting, or in use where's there's a bright/white background, like snow.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
GR8_Outdoorsman said:
Out of curiosity, how far of a shot would you guys be willing to take on a deer with the peep sights vs a scope?
If your deer had a 5.5" target pasted on it's side in the right place and all I had to do was put the bullet into the target and the deer was standing still and I had a good front rest I would probably try out to maybe a 100 yards. Doesn't really matter much scope or open sights. It's what you are used to. :D

Latest posts