Why is my EDC a revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JackAsinus

Single-Sixer
I spent time in the military, 1ID, and have carried and used semi autos for much of my life.

When it really boils down to it, though, I like the simplicity and reliability of a revolver.

I no longer find myself in situations where I need to carry dozens of rounds of ammunition and confront multiple targets at the same time. There is still that possibility but the probability of it happening in my lifestyle is extremely unlikely.

As such I carry a revolver, plus I think they are an elegant piece of craftsmanship.

r93kdlu.jpeg

Flatbush

Single-Sixer
Do I see a hammerless Wylie Clapp?
Well done sir. I commend you in any case.
Beautiful!!
Flatbush

JackAsinus

Single-Sixer
It looks like the Wiley Clapp but it's really a Model #01715, or so the serial # look up says online. It was made in 1998 and the spur less hammer is factory.

Recently I picked it up off of Guns International. I love he aesthetics of the 3" and the compact grips. I also like the aesthetics of the 4" with standard grips but the standard grips are slightly thicker than what my Vienna sausage fingers can reach. As such, I sold the 4" and found this 3". The matte finish was a plus.

I had just sold several rifles and several revolvers in an attempt to minimize my collection and match it to my current lifestyle of living in Chicagoland.

The SP101 is my normal EDC but I may start lugging the GP from time to time.

Thanks for the compliment, I love both of these workhorses.

Mus408

Hunter
Yep can't beat the simplicity of a revolver you can shoot well. My carry rotates a bit among my Springfield XDE .45 ACP and two small revolvers being the Ruger .357 LCR and Charter Arms Bulldog .45 Colt.

wwb

Hunter
Welcome to the forum from another Big Red One guy. And, yup, I carry a 3" SP 101 .357. There's a 1911 in the truck, though..... old habits are hard to break.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
I have a S&W 637 .38S&W Spl. I formalize myself with it
once in while. It is dead on at 10 yards. That little 637
quickly reminds me why I don't shoot it often.

I do like it for it's; simplicity of operation, single or double
action, well made, light weight, ease of concealment,
accuracy, and safe.

Plus I know it will go bang when I pull the Trigger, unlike
some Autos I've seen at the Range.

The Best to all you out there.

BearBiologist

Hunter
Tastes and needs vary. Use what rings your chimes!

I carry a semi-auto but use a revolver in the field (Bear and moose).

Practice with what you carry! That's probably more important than what you carry!

JackAsinus

Single-Sixer
Very valid.

I used to carry a 454 in the woods but the biggest predator in the Great Lakes area is a puma so a smaller revolver works there.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I used to carry a 5" 454 in the car when I was in the deserted areas of NM. I did not plan to shoot people, but I did use it once to disable a Honda who occupants were trying car jack me because they though my company sold pharmaceuticals. I am retired now and seldom venture into an area that I feel I need to carry but when I carry, I carry a 3" SP101 stoked with Keith 358429HP's at 1150 fps. Four legged animals have proven this load to be effective.

NewRuger41

Bearcat
Why wheel gun for EDC? Simplicity for sure. Doubles as a fantastic "thumper" compared to polymer pistols (well depends on if your EDC is steel or a lighter alloy scandium etc). And not that looks matter, for humans aren't superficial are we :) , but revolvers just look better than pistols.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I never felt the need to carry, but on the very few occasions that I do, this is it (front pocket carry only for me; hence the tiny grips I added):

Bobbed the extra hammer that I had available.

J.

RSIno1

Hunter
In a weak moment I sold my early S&W Model 60 to a friend. Then a nice 642 showed up cheap with laser grips so it's my new go to carry gun. I like that there is no hammer to get hung up on anything the SS and aluminum makes for a light gun. I still need to get one of those plugs and take the lock out. https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-642
s0FHqdrm.png

PS - about 6 months ago my friend decided he didn't need the 60 so I got it back. Still in it's original box and with all its factory goodies.

retrieverman

Bearcat
I've been carrying a Smith 637 on and off for the last 20 years, and it's my primary carry right now.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Not only is my "EDC" a revolver, but a Single Action one at that. Why? The main reason is that I handle a Single Action volver very well, as they are second nature to me, having used one most of my life. Plus it is a .45 Colt caliber, in a New Model Ruger that allows me to carry six round with the gun fully loaded.

This sort of my normal carry, in a Doc Barranti No.1 Shuck, with no straps nor thongs. Open carry is legal here in Tennessee, but I find it more discreet to cover with a vest or jacket.

And, taking the opportunity to show off my latest Sunday and dress-up rig:

Bob Wright

RSIno1

Hunter
Bob Wright said:

Looks good enough to wear to a Texas BBQ.

https://www.recoilweb.com/5-summer-bbq-guns-103003.html

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/08/30/come-get-your-fill-of-some-beautiful-bbq-guns

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
I'm the same way. I'm retired, live on a 28 acre hobby farm that's way back in the woods. Nearest
neighbor is 1/2 mile away and that's my brother. I make it a point of staying home. Spent my life
dealing with other people's problems (41 yr LEO) and tired of it. Anyway, like you, my LCRx 38 is
my EDC unless I just have to go to the city, then I take my Sig P365.
This China virus crap of staying home and away from people didn't alter my life style at all. :wink:
Dano

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I carried one and qualified with it over the course of. Many years as a cop so I feel comfortable with it. Downsized to a 5 shot when I ran for and won my Judge position because it fit my suit jacket pocket better and found out in public an sp-101 riding in my waistband over my right hip fits just right. Also it's simple, reliable and contains my favorite round a 125 gr. Remington scallop jacket .357 mag.