who likes full stocks?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

olskool

Bearcat
tkvm5tX.jpg
I love em! the one on the end of the log is my rare Husqvarna 30-06 made in 59 the middle is my ruger tang safety 1984 international in 243 the next is also a rare h&r ultra rifle model 301 in 243 made in the late 60s

wunbe

Buckeye
Many full stocks --including the Rugers and CZs -- are poorly balanced/butt heavy because they have way too much wood and IMO are also butt ugly.

The classic Mannlicher Schoenauers, by contrast, are a joy to use because of their trim lines and have unmatched eye appeal.

wunbe

olskool

Bearcat
wunbe said:
Many full stocks --including the Rugers and CZs -- are poorly balanced/butt heavy because they have way too much wood and IMO are also butt ugly.

The classic Mannlicher Schoenauers, by contrast, are a joy to use because of their trim lines and have unmatched eye appeal.

wunbe
ugly? poor balance? butt heavy? :lol: I don't think sooooooo,,,,

Sugar River

Buckeye
wunbe said:

wunbe

Couldn't agree more. The originals got it right, the Rugers are nice but not in the same league.

olskool

Bearcat
for the folks that think they are ugly, unbalanced, and just plain look stupid, please keep thinking that way so I can obtain more of them! in fact if you have one or more and they upset you that bad I will buy them form you dirt cheep because they ain't worth much to you anyway, and if you don't have any or have never owned one then I see why you don't love them. you just don't know any better,,,,,,,,,,,

eastbank

Single-Sixer
I had # in 1 rsi 3006 and it was a pain in the arse to get it to shoot better than 3" three shot groups at 100 yards. after months trying to get it to do better(different loads- bedding) I gave up and sold it. they are out there, but the one I got was a disappointment to me. eastbank.

olskool

Bearcat
the ruger will touch three holes, the h&r ultra model 301 is in 243, they came with a Douglas premium air gauged barrel. it is a tack driver. the Husqvarna in 30-06 will shoot the same hole, yes sir they are accurate,,,

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Have mot seen too many I did not like. I think the company Merkel? makes a beauty

picketpin

Buckeye
I don't have any Rugers in the RSI configuration. I do own one MS with a full stock. I bought it in 1964. When I brought it home my dad, the engineer asked why in the world would you want to add the possibility of more problems by adding a full length forearm??

That was my first and last. I have owned a couple #1s but the they have either been restocked or gone down the road.

To me it's cosmetic and that always boils down to personal preference rather than anything needed/useful.

Guys either like/love them or not. ;-)

Ross

Clark

Bearcat
I love full stock guns but there have been many that are poorly done.

cs4JJh.jpg

The bottom is the classic #1 RSI in 7x57. One day I should get a better picture of the wood but it is one of those guns that makes me doubt such old wives tales like "only red pad guns have good wood".

The top is a Diana 430 Stutzen. It's an air rifle and while I truly enjoyed it as such, it was a poorly designed full stock. Very clunky compared to the #1 (or a 77 RSI). It lacked the svelte nature of a good full stocked gun. To me, that is a bad full stock, the Rugers are excellent.

olskool - Excellent collection of full stocks! I had no clue H&R made one and only an inkling that Husquvarna ever did. Thanks for sharing.

Clark

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I had a Sako Forrester carbine in .308 many years ago, wish I'd hung on to it. Now have a tang safety RSI in .308 with a Leupold 1.5-6x on it, fine little rifle and IMO very attractive. Don't have a picture of it except in Photobucket, which is useless, or I would post it. Your trio is beautiful. Love the H&Rs, I've seen a few a gunshows but never in the right caliber or configuration.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Aesthetically, they're not my cup of tea, but some of those trim M-S rifles of the '50s or '60s were built on some beautiful wood and could certainly do it justice. Today's offerings often look a bit too well fed, more like old milsurps than sporting arms.

As for shooting, I've always heard owners say the non-Rugers generally shot quite well. The Rugers? Well, it sounds like they bear a family resemblance to so many other Ruger rifles: it's a crap shoot. One guy gets one which will still put a bullet in the previous hole even if he sneezes at the same time he pulls the trigger. The next one might be a challenge to keep on paper at 100 yds.

Rick C

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I.had a full stock.44 mag Ruger carbine wish I.had never sold it .I.bought it for $250 and sold it for $859 .It had awesome wood and was super accurate .I was building my.house needed the money !

Latest posts