Votes: 12 18.2%
  • RCBS Hand Primer

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • RCBS Universal

Votes: 4 6.1%

• Total voters

GP100man

Buckeye
Does anyone use the priming tools on Reddings Big Boss II press ???

Been thinkin of new press ,thru ram primer disposal & on press seating .

gramps

Hawkeye
I use the Lee hand prime. I prep (deprime/resize, clean), then prime. When I need to reload I have cases all ready.
gramps

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Until recently, I used the Lee Auto-Prime with the round primer tray for most everything--and that was my vote. I also have one of their earlier hand tools that just does a single primer at a time. It's set up for large size primers to use for short runs of rifle brass now and again leaving the other tool set up for small primers. Life was good: the tool's been kept lubed per instructions, hasn't been used by any 800 lb gorilla types, and it's still chugging along after I dunno how many years.

Then a buddy sent a bunch of LC .223 brass to play with, which had crimped primer pockets. I thought I had them adequately opened up, but my thumb said "Huh, uh!" when I went to prime them. If it makes any difference, the only small rifle primers I could get at the time were Tulas. So I dug out a Lee Ram Prime from a dusty corner of the drawer and tried it for that primer/brass combo. It made short work of getting those primers seated, requiring just a touch of finesse when first pulling the press handle to give everything a chance to get "lined up!"

Since then, I've been using the Ram Prime more and more when I'm not in any particular hurry, which is most of the time when I'm loading these days. I've been happy with it... unlike those little flip-flop thingies that came on both my RCBS presses, plus a couple of others. Those things drive me up a wall.

Rick C

DGW1949

Hunter
I'm with Rick C.....
The "flip-foppy thingy" on my ancient RCBS press was the first thing I abandoned. That was on day one, over 40 years ago. Before the week was out, I was using my (then-new) LEE "single loader" thumb-pusher....which I'm still using.
That particular model has been out of production for many years though, so as for recommending any certain priming tool these days, I'm afraid that I can't. About all that I can say there is that t'were it me, I'd look for one that could use the same cartridge holder that my press uses (which my old LEE does not)....assuming of course, that those are still being made by someone.

DGW

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I've been using the on press priming on my Lee Turret. I have to manually place a primer in the cup and then prime on the downstroke. The advantage is not having to remove the case from the press. I turned a small thin lipped shallow wooden bowl. I dump 20 or 30 primers on it, and it makes it easy to pick up one primer at a time. I've thought about the auto prime system, but it seems a little awkward.

I seem to get a good feel to the seating process with the press.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
The best priming tool I have every used is the one on the Bonanza Co-Ax press. It consistently seats primers to the same depth. The Ponsness/Warren P200 is almost as consistent. The priming systems on the Dillon 550 and 650 do a reasonably good job - even though they are seat by feel. I have yet to find a hand held priming tool that I find really satisfactory.

mikld

Blackhawk
I've tried three different hand priming tools and the stock priming system on 4 presses, but I always go back to a ram prime. To some it may not be "fast enough" 'cause each primer is loaded in the cup individually, but I've had exceptional performance from mine. Excellent "feel" and not at all tiring...

cadillo

Blackhawk
charlesappel said:
The best priming tool I have every used is the one on the Bonanza Co-Ax press. It consistently seats primers to the same depth. The Ponsness/Warren P200 is almost as consistent. The priming systems on the Dillon 550 and 650 do a reasonably good job - even though they are seat by feel. I have yet to find a hand held priming tool that I find really satisfactory.

Agreed!

The Bonanza Co-Ax has the best of all the priming systems out there, followed by the RCBS Ram unit, but the Co-Ax is a lot easier to adjust between calibers.

libbylibbylibby

Bearcat
Lee Ram Prime. excellent "feel", and no fatigue like the hand primers. You do have to check for brass slivers in the cup, but it just plugs along, gettin' the job done.

375supermag

Blackhawk
hi...

I voted on this poll some time ago but apparently I never posted what/where/why/who, etc....

I use an RCBS bench-mounted APS tool with the primer strips. it works fine, as long as you replace the strips every year or so.

I have the strip loading tool, as well, so that I can use whatever primers I choose.

I haven't seen any of the pre-loaded strips in any gun shop in quite a few years.

I like this system and have used it for years to prime many thousands of rounds.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
RCBS hand primer is all I've ever used. Never really had any problems. And you gotta love RCBS's 100% (Free) guarantee. I've called them wanting to order parts for my dies & priming tool & they just won't take my money.
Most problems associated with primer problems are from dirty primer pockets.