What's the best self-defense ammo for the Ruger LCP?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dampwaffles

Bearcat
I've been carrying my Ruger LCP loaded with Buffalo Bore 100 grain hardcast rounds for a while.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=127

But I'm worried that it will damage my pistol, not be reliable and even be inaccurate after reading several people online describing their problems with shooting this round out of their Ruger LCP. I only tested a few of these rounds in my gun when I first bought it because I just wanted to make sure that they worked properly without shooting too many and possibly damaging my pistol. Even though I didn't have any problems with these rounds, I've read too many troubling anecdotes about these rounds to have faith in them.

I'm now looking for the best standard pressure 380 auto rounds for self-defense in my Ruger LCP. I want the rounds to have at least 12 inches of penetration in ballistic gel and be reliable and accurate. Price is no issue since I only need a couple boxes for self-defense.

From the research I've already done, most people recommend the Hornady 380 auto 90 grain Critical Defense round.

http://www.hornady.com/store/380-Auto-90-gr-Critical-Defense/

Does everyone on this forum agree? Or is there a better round out there?

Thanks a million in advance.

96/44

Blackhawk
Hornady critical defense, or a plain old FMJ. The .380 isn't going to dump a lot of energy in the target, so penetration is key. I feel more comfortable with a FMJ that I know will penetrate and be 100% reliable, than a hollow point which may or may not expand.

pyth0n

Buckeye
Check this out .
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=167973

Dampwaffles

Bearcat
It looked like the most commonly recommended bullet in that thread was the Hornady Critical Defense round that I linked. And a couple other people recommended FMJs for more reliability both in function of the gun and penetration.

I'm considering alternating the Horandy Critical Defense rounds and FMJs within my magazines in order to cover all my bases. Which standard pressure FMJs would you guys recommend for self-defense?

Thanks again in advance for any helpful responses.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Get you some milk jugs and fill them with water then shoot them with different loads.The differences will surprise you. The Winchester PDX1 is pretty amazing and gets my vote.

pyth0n

Buckeye
Dampwaffles said:
It looked like the most commonly recommended bullet in that thread was the Hornady Critical Defense round that I linked. And a couple other people recommended FMJs for more reliability both in function of the gun and penetration.

I'm considering alternating the Horandy Critical Defense rounds and FMJs within my magazines in order to cover all my bases. Which standard pressure FMJs would you guys recommend for self-defense?

Thanks again in advance for any helpful responses.
Good starting points. You'll eventually shoot enough to have your personal favorites. I favor the Remington FMJ. I've used WW, Fiochi, American Eagle, without problems.
I posted this on an elsie pea forum using WW 95 gr FMJ. First 50 rounds through it @ 10 yds.
http://rugerpistolforums.com/forums/attachments/range-card/954d1337801313t-finally-got-my-lcp-range-1231091429.jpg

groberts

Single-Sixer
Perhaps the biggest question is what can you get? All I could get here for my LC380 is the Golden Sabres but from the referenced article that seems like a good choice anyway. My other JHPs (Remington and Federal) won't feed in it but feed fine in my Bersa. Can't find Hornady anywhere.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I've carried my LCP for just over 4 years. I've put about 400 rounds through it.

Hornady Critical Defense was the first premium round I tried. It functioned 100% with it (as with everything else I have tried in it) and I stopped looking.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Not sure if Hornady is making the Critical Duty in 380 but Hornady is pretty much saying the Critical Duty is a little up on the Critical Defense. I have shot the Critical Defense and it did chamber well.

Dampwaffles

Bearcat
After watching this video (and finding other examples of poor penetration from the .380 auto Hornady Critical Defense round), I'm now seriously considering only carrying FMJ rounds in my Ruger LCP.

However, this data is hard to argue against. The FMJ round listed only had a one shot stop rate of 55% compared to the 71% of the best performing JHP rounds. Other ballistic gel tests I've seen have also shown consistently better penetration for the Federal Hyrda-Shok 380s compared to the Hornady Critical Defense 380s.

So, right now I'm leaning towards loading my Ruger LCP with a mix of these standard pressure Buffalo Bore flat nosed 380 rounds and Federal Hydra-Shok 380s.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Dampwaffles said:
So, right now I'm leaning towards loading my Ruger LCP with a mix of these standard pressure Buffalo Bore flat nosed 380 rounds and Federal Hydra-Shok 380s.

I've not researched it as much as you have but I know a few people who carry the Hydra's. I'm not sure why this round does well in .380. In its other calibers most have long since moved on from these considering them old tech, and many will site problems with these rounds in the larger calibers. However for some odd reason I believe it does well in .380

Personally if it was me, I'd shrug my shoulders pick up the Hydra's and call it better then a .22lr.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Your not goiung to find an answer to the parameters of the first post, particularily with a subcompact .380 . Any defensive ammo choice for a .380 requires a major suspension of disbelief, in one of two diametrically opposed directions, with no middle ground.

A FMJ will have both minimal stopping power and deep penetration bordering into over penetration.

Anything that expands enough to notice , would be unlikely to penetrate more than 10in , most less.

So you have to flip a coin , and decide which philosophical aproach you prefer.

Once upon a decade , before there were better alternative in that exact niche, I hand chambered a JHP that WOULD expand , but not feed , and mag full of different jhp that would feed , but probably not expand.

Today ? * For Me * , the existance of subcompact polymer framed 9mm's is a game changer. A 115 jhp @ 1050-1150fps is so far ahead of an 85-90 @850-900fps there is no looking back

But if really pressed to make a recomendation to someone I liked , but couldn't talk out of it, I'd say whichever major brand JHP that was reliable. Tie breakers to POI and accuraccy..

toysoldier

Hunter
The perils of overpenetration are much exaggerated. Have you ever read about someone (other than Gov. Connoly) being shot by a bullet that had penetrated someone else?

There's a lot of FAT people out there, and some of them are criminals. You need a round that is going to reach something vital. I've been a surgical tech for 35+ years, I know the anatomy, and I carry FMJ.

Dampwaffles

Bearcat
Yet the study I linked shows consistently higher one shot stop rates for JHP bullets. Granted, only one FMJ was included in the .380 comparison. But the pattern is still glaring across all calibers.

Dampwaffles

Bearcat
Just got some Federal Hydra-Shok .380s for my Ruger LCP. They don't feed reliably... They get jammed on the feed ramp almost every time. I did a Google search and discovered that lots of other people have the same problem. Have decided to only use FMJs in my Ruger LCP...

Clarkston_cz

Single-Sixer
I like the Double Tap Tac-XP when I can get it,as I use the TAC-XP in 9mm as well.

Or the Hornady FTX Critical Defense.

The Critical Duty in .380 would probably have a 100-102 gr. bullet and that
would increase penetration if the velocity was still up there.

That said:

I carry a mag of FTX in the gun and a spare mag of FTX and FMJ.

With my bad back these days, the LCP is lighter than my RAMI or
KLCR .357 with a faster reload than the revolver.

Otherwise, I'd carry a P-01, PCR or even a P-07 Duty , but just can't
handle it.

The LC9 my wife had was pretty sharp on recoil (snappy) and had a
horrible trigger.

Same for the Shield.

I'm not happy with .380 power.. but really have no alternative in
regards to the slim and light LCP.

exavid

Hunter
Can't say for sure since I haven't shot anyone to do on the spot research but I carry Hornady Critical Defense in both my LCP and LC9. Here's a link to some Youtube .380 ammo comparisons.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9M6cZGd18