What non Ruger SA revolver do you own and why?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Traded a Colt Bisley .44-40 4 3/4" from a Mexican policeman in Baja California del Sur in 1961 for a new Colt Frontier Scout .22. We each thought we'd got the best of the deal! Still have the "Beesley;" replaced the Scout with a Bearcat. Still have it, too.

MaxP

Buckeye
Boxhead said:
Have owned others but two remain.

My first SA.

Guns2011021.jpg

And this one, my last SA.

M25-2andBFR022.jpg

What's in the decanter, Boxhead?! :D

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Ooops

I forgot my Single Action Smiths.

38 Single Action, 2nd Model.

38SA2ndModel02.jpg

A couple of Tip Ups.
Number 1 1/2, New Model at the top, Number One, 3rd Issue at the bottom. The one at the top was made in 1873, the little 22 is my oldest gun, made in 1870.

ModelsNumberOneThirdIssueandNumberOneandOneHalfNewModel01.jpg

And then there's the pièce de résistance, my New Model Number Three, chambered for 44 Russian, made in 1882, refinished at the factory in 1965.

NewModel302.jpg

And yes, I do shoot it.

038.jpg

stantheman86

Buckeye
I'm more of a DA Ruger guy, but I am starting to get the SA revolver bug :D

Ruger makes some VERY nice SA's, I want a 6.5" .45 LC Vaquero badly, as well as a .357 Vaquero.

I sold the last of my Italian Uberti SA's, I had a .38 Special Colt Open Top repro but it didn't do much for me, since I got my .357 4 5/8" Blackhawk. I also had a BUNCH of Uberti and Pietta Cap and Ball revolvers, but I sold all but one, a Uberti London 1851 Navy I gave to my Dad to hang on the wall.

I was reading about guys who said that they only expected to get maybe 5-7,000 rounds out of the Uberti SA's before they shot loose or had parts breakage. The Uberti's are very nice looking guns, but MO aren't made to stand up to heavy shooting. They are perfect for the guy who wants a Peacemaker clone to plink around with but I don't see them as high volume shooters.

P7110007.JPG

I guess I could count my Single Action Only S&W Model 17 8)

Looks lime Colt is the most popular. I only have Rivers myself, and then not that many either compared to most of you. Nice pictures though. I still think the Colt Bisley is the most beautiful handgun.

RugerHound

Hunter
GammaRay said:
RugerHound said:
We have a few non-Ruger firearms... This lil '59 Buntline Scout is one of my wife's favorite shooters! It fits her well and she can actually hit the paper with this one. :shock: :lol: (I'm SO dead if she reads this!)

It's great fun, but in my experience a Colt just doesn't lock up like a Ruger.

A 59 Buntline is a nice find. Why does she like shooting the Buntline so much? They look awkward to my eyes.

She likes long barrels, but the Ruger Single Six 9.5s we have are a bit heavy for her. The Colts have a smaller grip that fits her hands better, and the light weight feel of it seems to please her. Her other faves are the birdshead grip .22's & .32's we have which also fit her hands well. The bigger iron scares her a bit.

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
stantheman86 said:
I was reading about guys who said that they only expected to get maybe 5-7,000 rounds out of the Uberti SA's before they shot loose or had parts breakage. The Uberti's are very nice looking guns, but MO aren't made to stand up to heavy shooting. They are perfect for the guy who wants a Peacemaker clone to plink around with but I don't see them as high volume shooters.
)
The new Uberti's have been improved the spring design with these 3 parts and breakage is next to nill and they will hold up to the Rugers thanks to the SASS/CAS shooters . Like the new Vaquero's no Ruger only loads in them .
triggerspring.jpg

springkit.jpg

hammerspring.jpg

stantheman86

Buckeye
This was the issue with the earlier BP cap and ball revolvers from the 60's to recently,I used to be on a cap and ball collectors forum when I was a lot more into the black powder stuff and guys were making replacement parts to keep the older guns going...........I had a pretty big collection of early Uberti's and other Italian guns............. they weren't made or sold as heavy shooters, they were good for the guy who wanted to cap off a few rounds here and there but the then softer parts would start giving out. I had a 90's era Armi San Marco 1860 Army clone that completely just broke and it didn't have all that many rounds on it and also a 1960's era Uberti .44 "navy" type revolver that started peening at the barrel wedge from medium loads. My newest Uberti is from about 2009 and it's a .36 Navy that I only have a few hundred rounds through, but it's still tight as new. I don't know if the new Uberti cap and ball guns are made to the same standard as the cartridge guns as far as durability.

I don't have any of the most recent Uberti's but I hear they have made leaps and bounds improvements since Beretta bought them and brought them into the Stoeger-Franchi-Beretta conglomerate......like tx gun runner says people started buying the Uberti cartridge and cap and ball revolvers AND actually wanted to shoot them! 8)

As for myself, the Uberti guns aren't cheap and for the same price I can get another Blackhawk or finally get the Vaquero I want and then I'll know it's gonna last and be trouble free forever.

I'm still wating for the USFA .44 Remington 1858 to come out, advertised as US made at the Connecticut factory under license from Remington. I have been waiting for years for a good, solid US made Colt or Remington cap and ball repro. The Colt branded cap and ballers were basically just Uberti's that Colt fitted and finished.

I have looked at some USFA guns and they look VERY nice, I have wanted an Omnipotent in .38 Special for years now. I just wish they would make a REAL 1878 DA Colt clone with modern lockwork to correct some of the issues, and make these DA instead of just 1878-ish looking guns in SA.