Want to buy my first revolver any suggestions??????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
It doesn't what you get next. Rugers are addictive and you will never have enough. My suggestion is a good single six because it will quickly become your favorite. And its a lot cheaper to feed. Also it's a everyday gun that makes a good companion. I have a mkIII that I thought the world of but after getting the single six I hardly ever take it out anymore.

maxpress

Buckeye
well now your going to need a blackhawk convertable 9mm/357 that will go with both guns.
later you will want a big boy so you will need a 44/45 redhahawk or super black hawk.
see how this works....might as well get the big gun safe now. and welcome to our addiction.

congrats on your decision.

patcannon

Single-Sixer
I was a total 1911 guy until I touched an SP101. I traded a Kimber for it and haven't regretted it a minute. Then I wanted to shoot the closest thing to it in IDPA so I sold my other 1911 to buy a GP100. I love 'em both. Some people carry the GP but I agree with the majority that it's just a little too bulky. The SP is a great carry gun.

But I have to say, I was looking for a Speed Six and just didn't find one before I ran across the SP101. From everything I hear, the Speed Six or Security Six would be a great choice too. But I do really like the no-backstrap design of the newer guns that lets me shoot the most fire-breathing Magnum loads in comfort.

[edit:] Ooh, I missed where you said you ordered the GP. It doesn't change anything except: if it seems too big & heavy for carry, then you can do the reverse of what I did -- keep the GP shoot in IDPA, steel matches etc., but get an SP101 for daily carry.

...You do shoot steel matches and/or IDPA, right? :) If you don't, check it out, it's in your neighborhood someplace. It's a super fun way to keep up to speed with your defensive weapon.

NCMountains

Bearcat
You want concealability or just hip carry? As far as caliber easy on the pocket you may want to look to a .22 LR. But if you need more punch then a SP or GP in .357 would be the ticket.