Underwood Ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

haymaker

Single-Sixer
I'm thinking about trying some Underwood 357 mag 180 gr lead flat nose ammo for hiking with. Will this ammo be too hot for my Security Six or my S&W 66 (pre lock)? The Security Six is a rugged pistol, is there any Underwood ammo that would be too hot for it?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Should be fine for your gun. They list MV for their ammo (1400fps for this round), so you can get an idea from that. That will vary somewhat depending on your bbl length, etc. so you might ask them what they used for a test gun. Probably a 4" bbl.

What I've found with their .41mag is that it's about a +P and extremely consistent - more so than you'll get with other factory ammo. They are also very good about answering any questions you email them or call about. They have a great reputation for quality ammo.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
GunnyGene said:
Should be fine for your gun. They list MV for their ammo (1400fps for this round), so you can get an idea from that.
If that velocity is correct for their 180 gr bullet in a .357 barrel of any reasonable length, that ammo is much too hot and I'd limit it to very strong revolvers like the Redhawk or Blackhawk or strong single shot like the T/C contender.

An MV of 1400 fps is about what a hot 125 gr .357 load can reach in a 4": barrel, not a 180 gr load. It's always possible the real velocity isn't nearly that high and the load is reasonable but I'd be very careful of using them in a Security Six or M66.

R-71

Bearcat
I've used that brand of Ammo in a 9mm and the particular load that I chronographed met the advertised velocity.

I think they test it in real world guns as well as test barrels.

I bet there's some YouTube videos.

K1500

Single-Sixer
I'm a bit nervous of the boutique high velocity loads. Particularly if they use lil'gun powder to achieve the spectacular velocities they indicate. I have read enough about forcing cone damage and even barrel damage to want to avoid lil'gun.