Underwood ammo arrived today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
New to me (see box labels). Tried it out in the Tisas 1911 and P365, one mag of each. Cycles normally, goes bang. Recoil was not noticeably heavier than any other ammo for these guns. I think the 9mm case might be a tiny bid fatter than my usual Hornady. Could only stuff 11 rounds in the Sig 12rnd mag.

PXKYHmu.jpg

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
That's a relatively warm load for a 1911. Used sparingly you shouldn't have any problems with it. I run those velocities in a revolver with good success.

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
If you plan a steady diet of those, I would go up 2# in my recoil spring

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
Can't afford a steady diet of this for either caliber. :)
Right!
Underwood, Corbon and Buffalo ammo is not on the inexpensive side.
If you reload you can get close to duplicating their loads. I load my ++p .45Colt for my Redhawk for a fraction of what they get for their 310 grain WFN cast and get within 100 or so fps with good extraction.

Yoter

Bearcat
One of the few manufacturers of full powered 10mm loads and still reasonably priced compared to similar brands.

dweis

Blackhawk
Underwood delivery for me too. Sixty rounds of 380 ACP Extreme Defender. I'll use one box to check out function with my new Security 380. The other 40 will become EDC ammo assuming the test goes well. Hope to get to the range on Thursday. I report back after that.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
New to me (see box labels). Tried it out in the Tisas 1911 and P365, one mag of each. Cycles normally, goes bang. Recoil was not noticeably heavier than any other ammo for these guns. I think the 9mm case might be a tiny bid fatter than my usual Hornady. Could only stuff 11 rounds in the Sig 12rnd mag.

PXKYHmu.jpg
GunnyGene, as for the Underwood .45 ACP, this is a relatively slow round, and it generates only 484 ft. lbs. of ME, which is just a bit hotter than the average .45 ACP around which has 424 ft. lbs of ME. But I suspect that most semi-auto pistols cannot handle high powered ammo too well in the first place, so this one you picture here is of relatively near 'average' power, even thou it is from a normally high powered ammo manufacturer. I shoot the very high power Atomic .45 ACP ammo (Atomic) that delivers 616 ft. lbs. of ME, but I shoot this in my Ruger .45 convertible revolver, and there isonly a little kicjk to it from my big revolver. I can even shoot the .45 Super ammo, which can go up to about 700 ft. lbs., and with not including the very small 68 gr ammo by Magesafe, which I do not hink is manufactured any longer, that delivered 771 ft. lbs.! Underwood does make a high powered .45 ACP round, and it is a 185gr bullet, that travels at 1,200 fps, which delivers 591 ft. lbs. I have not shot the Underwood high powered .45 ACP yet.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Tried out this 9mm Underwood in a couple other guns, just to satisfy myself that they aren't going to have a problem with the Underwood. My old Ruger 9e, a S&W M&P EZ, and the Glock 34 MOS. Ran great in all 3. I've always liked the 9e and have probably put 3 or 4 times as many rounds thru it than the other 3 combined. It was my EDC for several years, but switched to the P-365 a couple years ago purely for the smaller size and weight.

Latest posts