twist rate for m77

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sdavis76

Bearcat
i was hoping someone could help me or point me in the right direction. I have a mid to late 80's m77 .243 and i cant seem to find out what the twist rate is. I am needing to look at some ammunition options for whitetail deer and hog hunting with a max distance of maybe 100 to 150 yards. so if anyone has recommendations i would be appreciative. I seem to only find the MkII m77 and newer twists. thanks again.

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
Current available Rugers:
The Ruger American and Hawkeye is a 1:9" twist
The Ruger #1 is a 1:7.7" twist.

Sierra Edition5 lists the #1 and 77 as a 1:10" twist.

If its a 1984 and older I'd bet it is a 1:10".

And contact Ruger.

gunzo

Hunter
Secure the rifle, remove the bolt, as to prepare for barrel cleaning. With a tight fitting patch on a jag that is screwed on the cleaning rod snugly, insert rod into barrel a few inches past the chamber. Now stop. Measure from the back of the action to the front of the handle on the rod & take note of distance. Now put a mark with sharpie etc. on top of rod at least a foot away from the action. now push the rod through the barrel, using only the handle , allow the rod to rotate in the handle as was designed. Watch closely your sharpie mark, when it has rotated one revolution & has returned to top dead center, STOP. Now measure from the same place on the action as you did the first time to the handle, subtract that dimension from your first one. That is your one turn in "X" inches. 8)

Latest posts