Trout from the rimrock canyons

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Don Lovel

Hunter
Wish I would have had my camera with me today, but it got left on the dining room table by accident. Molly and I went up west of Saguache Colorado into a chain of rimrock canyons around in the back country kind of SW of Monarch Pass. Found a little trout stream, picked up a couple a eatin size brown trout, watched some big rain storms work down in the SLV between us and home in Crestone. Got back in at dark this evening and fried the trout in butter along with some frozen breaded shrimp I had in the freezer.
We did see Elk, Antelope, Mule Deer, coyotes, a gazillion prairie dogs out in the area, little creeps dig holes in the road, need to go back out there with some toys and talk to them at distance about their hole digging locations apparently. Molly got to see her very first really big jack rabbit up close, he looked like he was running across the top of the brush like a miniature mule deer, And she got to see her first fresh caught brown trout, not quite as pretty colors as the local brook trout but a brown trout is a thing of beauty none the less.
Found a place to go camp this summer way back in a high valley, really pretty grove of aspens that we were able to drive close to in Mollys Subaru, so getting all the way up to it in my Jeep will be no problem, I probably could have taken the Subaru up there if she was not sitting in the passenger seat when I did screaming at me about damaging her car.

ruger randy

Single-Sixer
don't the locals pronounce that " saw watch" or similar; trout fishing has been nice to me end of summer/fall up that way;

-----------------------

ruger randy

I remember the first jackrabbit I saw(Del Rio, Tx). I thought it was a fawn! It seems you are breaking Ms Molly in right. She might get used to it, provided the rewards for her exceed the "knuckle busting". :)
gramps

Cooperhawk

Buckeye
When I was a kid we used to shoot Jack Rabbits out of our cars window chasing them over frozen fields in the Winter. We had snow tires and bags of sand in our trunks. Always made sure the field had two gates so when the Sheriff came in one end we could exit stage left.

Haven't seen a Jack Rabbit in years now. Guess we did a good job.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
I've fished in that area too although it was too many years ago. Caught one of my biggest "bows" ever up there. Wonderful country.

Dan