The research train made a stop in my yard....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wbw2

Single-Sixer
They take this thing everywhere, it scans and analyzes the rails, looking for problems or defects. I thought maybe some train buffs here may like to see it, so here it is:

002-2.jpg

003-3.jpg

Ok I'll be first. I like trains. I don't know much about them really. My interest is in riding them as a passenger. I bet this one has some cool equipment inside.
I'm reminded of the Bob and Tom radio personalities, they had a skit about a "Norfolkn' way" shipping company. You know "will we get your package there on time?" "Norfolkn way."

street

Hunter
Before there was a Norfolk Southern, there was the Southern RY, and the Norfolk & Western Ry. They merged sometime in the 1980s. In 1959 the Norfolk & Western took over the Virginian Ry. The Virginian ran from the West Va. coal mines to Norfolk Va. and was in competition with the N & W, which is why they took them over. The Virginian used electric engines from Roanoke to West Va.

The first picture was the N&Ws Class J, 4-8-4. The first, #600 was built in Roanoke, VA in 1941 and the last #614 was built sometime in the early 50s, 1951 or 1952. For pulling a passenger train over the mountains of Virginia and West Va., there was no better engine built. The only one that is left is the #611 built in 1950 and is kept in Roanoke VA. The other picture is of one of the first Electric engines that the Virginian had and was built by Westinghouse, in the 1920s, I think. At that time it was one of the most powerful engines built . Pulling coal over the mountains of West Va. and Virginia, there was no better engine built at that time.

398155746.jpg

398155745.jpg

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I recall a few years back (Yeah, right!) riding the Tennessean from Memphis to Washington, D.C. At that time, all trains operating in Virginia had to have coal burning locomotives. At Bristol, TN/VA the Diesel locomotive had to be changed out for a coal burner. Then prior to entering D.C a Diesel had to be put on again for operating in the District.

Bob Wright

street

Hunter
Bob Wright said:
I recall a few years back (Yeah, right!) riding the Tennessean from Memphis to Washington, D.C. At that time, all trains operating in Virginia had to have coal burning locomotives. At Bristol, TN/VA the Diesel locomotive had to be changed out for a coal burner. Then prior to entering D.C a Diesel had to be put on again for operating in the District.

Bob Wright

My dad was the Agent for the N&W at Salem, VA from 1959 to 1968. The "Tennessean" train #45 and #46, was a flag stop for Salem. What that means was that the trains would not stop unless there was a passenger that was to get on or off. If no one was to get on or off then the train would not stop. If he had a passenger that was going to get on at Salem, he would get his flag, which was half white and half green and he would stand next to the tracks and would flag the train down so the passenger could get on. Both trains, the north bound and the south bound came at about the same time. Once he had a passenger for both trains, so he had to position himself so which ever train came first he could get to the other track so he could stop both trains. It worked out fine as he was able to stop both trains. When he retired in 1968 he had over 50 years service with the N&W.

I come from a railroading family. My grandmother worked for the M&O. My dad retired as a yardclerk, one brother was a switchman, another a yardmaster, and I was a computer programmer, all for the GM&O.

One year I was assigned to do what was called roadway inventory. I worked with the local superintendents. We would hop on a two-seater railcar powered by a small gas engine on ride the rails until we came to a station or where there would be materials used to repair the tracks. We would stop and count everything except crossties. I would record the information in large ledger books (way before notebook computers).

You talk about a young city guy getting an education on railroading and rural life, that was me. Once I remember stopping where a crew was working on a section of track. The crew lived in a camp car for several days if they were out away from towns. If close enough to houses, they often would run long electrical cords and pay the home owner for the use of their electricity. This particular time the supervisor said that he made arrangements with a farmer and plugged into a pumphouse. When he returned to the camp car the eletricity suddenly went out. He went back to the pumphouse and to his surprise he saw an old lady standing there with a shotgun. The supervisor explained his arrangement with the farmer. The old lady said well that is his electricty but this is my pump! So he had to pay her too.

Great memories!

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
That NS 34 is an interesting rig, and I'd like to know more about it. For its described purpose, it seems like a 4-axle locomotive would have made an adequate and perhaps better platform. I'll have to do some research to find out what it does and how it does it.

I love these great train photos - thanks for sharing and keep them coming!