The odd things we save .......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
Do you ever wonder why some of us save odd things. I had a small project that required a short bench while sitting on a dove stool in the garage. I knew just where to find the bench, although I haven't use it in 10 plus years. It has been in the attic of the garage for years. I built this creation back in 1973 when I was building my first home and for some odd reason this thing is just hanging on to me.

Do you have an odd thing that has followed you around for years ?

539tw1.jpg

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Good heavens, I have so many homemade and home customized tools in my garage I think it would fall down if I took them all out. But, it's nice when you need that open end wrench with two different bends in it to reach that one bolt hiding out of sight that's holding up the show. Then there's the shed...

Dan in MI

Staff member
I have few things that I keep around like that. Most have some type of sentimental attachment. Probably the weirdest would be the handle for my Dad's homemade charcoal chimney. He used to make them looooooonnnggg before I ever saw one for sale. The chimney rotted off (he used heat ducting) but I kept the handle planning on rebuilding it and never got around to it. Dad's been gone since '88.

Jeepnik said:
Good heavens, I have so many homemade and home customized tools in my garage I think it would fall down if I took them all out. But, it's nice when you need that open end wrench with two different bends in it to reach that one bolt hiding out of sight that's holding up the show. Then there's the shed...
I too have a bunch of 'special' tools for use on helicopters. I have one cut down 11/16 open end wrench that only fits one nut on one place on a 'C/M' Huey. Why I haven't thrown it away is beyond me. I have various other 'one of a kinds' but that is an example of 'keeping' stuff you REALLY do not need.

Phoenix too

Blackhawk
A friend of ours is moving. He dropped of a box of plexiglass 'panes', not quite a foot square. IIRC, he said his Father brought them home to Brookline, then up to their NH camp, then back to Massachusetts, and then to his Son's (our friend). I might have missed another location. SWIMPAL thinks she can use them at school.

I still have the work bench that came from the house where I grew up. Both vices are gone, the top was a 'Moxie' sign, but 'Moxie' is gone, too. I have a 2' dia spot light that I think might have been used once, when I was a kid, for a night-time skating party. I'm sure that there's a ton more.

m657

Buckeye
I inherited my Dad's tools about 25 years ago. While some are quite useful, a few odd ones have been kept around 'just in case'....

One such was a hole saw circa 1961 from building our house. It was a bit curious, as there were not 1 but a series of about 5 or 6 saw blades about 1/4" apart, with a center bit in the middle for inserting into a drill chuck. That would revolve, and supposedly cut out a hole something less than 4" diameter.

Not like modern hole saws, where there's one of each size, this was all around the center mandrill, fixed to the supporting cap on the non-toothed edge.

I kept it thru moves & poverty & better times & better tools.

Last week I dug it out to use it, full of expectation and nostalgia.

Within a 1/2 dozen rotations the sucker broke into a dozen parts without much downward pressure. Crushed & off guard, I tossed it in the load for the dump run.

H.H. Hipshot

Single-Sixer
M657, I used one of those exact hole saws this past weekend to cut a hole in the dash of my boat for a 2" round voltmeter. I still have all the blades and the housing worked just fine.

HHH

graygun

Hunter
I have so many things that are probably only here because I'm single. I have tools,parts,pieces,fasteners,junk,odds and ends. I'm not very organized (understatement). :lol: :roll:

vito

Hunter
Sometimes when getting rid of something, I see a part on it that looks like it might come in handy. Maybe its a hinge, a tube, a flat piece of wood, etc. I guess I almost never end up using these "useful" things, and they have actually moved with me from one house to the next, but I just can't find it in myself to throw away these "good" items. I keep an old can that contained popcorn, one of those metal containers that originally held about 3 or 4 gallons of popcorn, for all of the small extras that I've held on to. I actually went through the can recently and it was like looking through an old photo album. All these little pieces of hardware brought back a lot of memories of things long gone.

BucolicBuffalo

Single-Sixer
"Grumble" I owned two of those sets of wood clamps that hold a lambskin for applying tung oil to floors. They screw onto like a broom handle. I knew exactly where they were. Someone else moved them on me. Since it's just the wife and I, it must have been me.

So I now own three sets of those wood clamps. I can name any number of items I own just like that scenario. Some built, some store bought. Those were just the most recent thing that drove me crazy looking for them.

opos

Buckeye
We are of an age where our parents were products of the depression and in my case of the dust bowl and depression....when they got something..regardless...they kept it as there was a chance they couldn't ever replace it...We've been through the "cleaning out" process after some of our folks have passed and it's amazing what was kept "just in case" I'm not as bad but still have lots of things that might have been once or twice used things...I still know where they are...and how they work....I collect and restore antique farm engines and there are few parts anywhere for them...all the collectors I know have an enormous pile of bits and pieces and we do a lot of trading and swapping..not much selling...

nekvermont

Blackhawk
Like RugerHound said, If you throw it out you'll need it a week later. :lol: 25 or 30 years ago I could go to our local dump and find all kinds of things that I could use now or knew I could use in the future. Quite often I would come home with more in the back of my truck than I went with. All these "found treasures" got stored in my barn. In 1998 I needed to get myself into a bigger woodworking shop and the only bigger building that I could remodel into my new shop was the barn where I was storing all the treasures I had collected at the dump. I ended up taking 7 full size pickup truck loads back to the dump. :oops:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
A friend of mine said his Dad had a bin of scrap wood. It was labeled "Unused lumber."

I've made many jigs for gluing or cutting that were just too nice to throw away. And old edger or lawnmower blades can be made into the most useful tools.

Bob Wright

Latest posts