Super Blackhawk 44Mag - 44-40 Convertible... I never knew...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

thor's daddy

Bearcat
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but I ran across a Super Blackhawk 44Mag/44-40 convertible this past weekend and I found myself rather flabergasted. Was this configuration a Buckeye gun, or something completely different? Were they made for very long, or was it a fairly limited offering?

Inquiring minds want to know!

And I know you guys know!

Outpost75

Outpost75
The rule on one-offs was that they had to be assembled from existing parts and be blessed by engineering for functionality and safety. Then we usually made a ten-board of them for marketing samples.

John at Buckeye did not go out of business before the so called "3 rd issue" of a Buckeye Sporting goods, John just did NOT want to do another one as the time and numbering offers to those who had purchased the first two, ( 1989 the 32/20-32 H&R mag ,then 1990 the 38/30-10mm) was quite a labor of work to go after those who bought the first , then the second and match them up, wait for feedback ,etc,,,he went through that with Bianchi and the holsters to match the various guns with the "Buckeye" leaf on the flaps of the holsters,,,,,,,,,life of BIG business and being a distributor too boot....loved my visits and conversations with the old man back then, and hell I was just there picking up for another dealer up in Mentor ,Ohio we did work for, Vieth Sports Supply, and Karl too is now "gone" on to better ,greener pastures......:cool::rolleyes:;)

here s the last 'trio' I sold last fall.............

Attachments

• 1 set Ruger convertibles 1988-90.JPG
    1 set Ruger convertibles 1988-90.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 1 trio Ruger conv.1988-90.JPG
    1 trio Ruger conv.1988-90.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

thor's daddy

Bearcat
The rule on one-offs was that they had to be assembled from existing parts and be blessed by engineering for functionality and safety. Then we usually made a ten-board of them for marketing samples.
I can think of a lot of combinations, but a blued Bisley convertible in 45 Colt/ACP with a 5.5-inch barrel and a target-length (Maximum) ejector assembly would be THE ONE I'd probably ever need to ask for. As a handgun hunter and marksman, it'd be a wonderfully versatile sixgun. And carbon steel is just classy...

Latest posts