SR9c Mag Disconnect

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikee57

Bearcat
Next time I have my SR9c disassembled I'm probably going to remove the mag safety disconnect. For anyone that has removed their mag safety disconnect has it changed the trigger such as the pull because I'm really happy with the trigger the way it is. Also does the magazine seat and lock in as easy as it does now with the disconnect. Is there anything else that could be effected by the removal. Thanks

Clovishound

Blackhawk
you will never know its gone.

At least until the weapon goes bang unexpectedly!

Seriously, if you are comfortable in removing this safety, that is your business. Just keep in mind the number of people who have had an ND because the trigger got pulled after the mag was dropped. When I unload my SR9c I drop the mag first. This effectively puts the safety on prior to racking the slide to remove the round in the chamber. This gives me peace of mind, as it is an operation more likely to result in an ND than most, and I often need to unload in my home. I am very safety conscious when handling weapons, but I also know stuff happens. I like the additional layer of safety. I know of at least two incidents that have happened within a year where a mag safety would have saved two lives.

Out of curiosity, I removed my mag disconnect temporarily. I noticed no difference in trigger feel. I put it back in place and am happy with it that way. YMMV.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
I hate to be stickler, but you have to drop the mag to unload the gun anyway, and then keep your finger off the trigger ,plus keep it pointed in a safe direction to eject the round in the chamber. The usual safe gun handling skills. Disconnect or not the only way that gun will fire is to fully cock the hammer and that is by pulling the trigger. Magazine disconnects are just a good way to learn bad gun handling skills. A person my feel safe by just popping the mag., but the plastic safety device in SR9's may have crumbled on impact on a few dry fires or the spring fails to make it slide down to block the firing pin, next thing you know POP.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Remove it on my SR9, SR40 and SR40c,there was no difference in the trigger or with the magazine. Only difference is there is one less thing that could cause a problem at the worst possible time.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Ruger Nut10 said:
I hate to be stickler, but you have to drop the mag to unload the gun anyway, and then keep your finger off the trigger ,plus keep it pointed in a safe direction to eject the round in the chamber. The usual safe gun handling skills. Disconnect or not the only way that gun will fire is to fully cock the hammer and that is by pulling the trigger. Magazine disconnects are just a good way to learn bad gun handling skills. A person my feel safe by just popping the mag., but the plastic safety device in SR9's may have crumbled on impact on a few dry fires or the spring fails to make it slide down to block the firing pin, next thing you know POP.

Obviously, you have to drop the mag first when unloading, unless you plan to eject them one at a time. My point was, that dropping the mag effectively means you have the safety on. That does not mean I feel free to put my finger on the trigger, just that I have that extra layer of safety. If that is a good way to to learn bad handling skills, then I should never operate my table saw with the guard on, as that will teach me to put my hand too near the blade.

FWIW, the mag disconnect in the SR9c is metal, not plastic.

Again, I in no way rely on the mag disconnect to keep the gun from firing, anymore than I rely on the external safety to allow me to do unsafe things just because the safety is on. It is merely another link in the chain that may save someone.

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
If I understand correctly, the primary reason for the disconnect is if your gun is being taken away. If you can mange to drop the mag before you let go, then the BG can't shoot you with it. I'm not advocating either way, just sayin'.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
freedomcosts said:
If I understand correctly, the primary reason for the disconnect is if your gun is being taken away. If you can mange to drop the mag before you let go, then the BG can't shoot you with it. I'm not advocating either way, just sayin'.
That's the myth. I really wonder if it's ever been done. The primary reason is to prevent an accidential (read neglegent) discharge if you remove the magazine and forget to empty the chamber and you or someone else thinks the gun is unloaded and pulls the trigger.

clint_lnl

Bearcat
cjs1945 said:
Only difference is there is one less thing that could cause a problem at the worst possible time.

with my SR9 and SR9C never had a problem with mag disconect installed. BUT on my SR40C with mag disconect installed, failure to fire ( light strikes ). been sent in 2 times to Ruger and still have troubles. And since I removed it, perfect every time now. All three are now removed since I want to be sure it works when I need it too. and your right you always have to practace gun safety with or without the mag disconect installed. PLUS the LCI lets me know if theres one in the chamber.

vacextar

Blackhawk
freedomcosts said:

I've heard that a lot also......and my response is that if you've already lost control of the gun, how are you going to manage to drop the mag? Also, if ALL guns had a mag disconnect, I can see the "mentality" issues with removing it......but many guns do NOT have a MD, so handling a gun and counting on it to have a MD to save you from yourself is not a good habit to get into anyway. If you have an AD, it means that you stuck your finger into the trigger guard and pulled the trigger unintentionally on a loaded gun......breaking the golden rule of gun safety. If that's the case, no amount of safeties will save you from yourself. JMHO.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
Another issue, if you compete with your SR9/c most pistol matches require you to pull the trigger on an empty gun after your string of fire (IDPA) so the ruger could be damaged if the disconnect is left in the gun and you are snapping the firing pin on that. Lucky that they have changed the rules to allow you to remove the disconnect now.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
vacextar said:
If you have an AD, it means that you stuck your finger into the trigger guard and pulled the trigger unintentionally on a loaded gun......breaking the golden rule of gun safety. If that's the case, no amount of safeties will save you from yourself. JMHO.

While this is true to a degree, I also believe that some well designed safeties can save us from those moments when we do something without thinking. I am sure there are some out there that are near perfect in that regard, but the rest of us, on rare occasion, do something without even realizing that it happened, until afterwards.

IMO a safety is not a replacement for proper handling, or a reason to be complacent about the rules. It is merely another layer between you and disaster. If you think about the basic rules, many of them are redundant. The reason is to put more layers between you and an unintentional discharge. Following the logic of: If you don't put your finger on the trigger, the gun cannot go off; therefore, you should be able to point the gun where ever you wish with complete safety. I don't know of anyone who would advocate this, myself included.

The point is, we are not machines that can be programmed to do the same task hundreds of thousands of times without deviation. Good training can reduce the times we do something stupid, but it still happens to most of us. Nothing can protect us from everything. There are, however, reasonable procedures and devices that can help keep the disasters to an acceptable level. For me a mag disconnect fits within that parameter. I don't consider it to be a must have, but I do like having one in my weapon, as long as it doesn't interfere with normal operation. So far, mine hasn't.

Latest posts