SR9c barrel peening

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Al James

Hunter
I thought we decided that they are machining the slide and barrel on the SR9c's this way from the factory. In an effort to minimize any potential peening issues. Search old posts on this subject.

Takedown

Bearcat
Al James":3pt341yd said:
I thought we decided that they are machining the slide and barrel on the SR9c's this way from the factory. In an effort to minimize any potential peening issues. Search old posts on this subject.

Ruger replaced my barrel, the part being damaged, without any other modifications. Guess what, the new barrel was getting hammered just as bad. I'm not waiting for Ruger to decide if/when to fix it right. I took it back to my LGS and told them to make it right, they did. Now I have another SR9c that has 300 rounds through it without a single mark on the barrel. :)

UserM4

Bearcat
I noticed a slight peen just like in the OP's picture when I purchased my gun brand new. Obviously it was test fired at the factory, especially since I noticed the carbon in the rifling of the barrel.

I shot 500 rounds through it so far without a single malfunction and the peening hasn't changed in the slightest. I find it to be nothing worth worrying about.

agentadam

Single-Sixer
I think the problem lies in the design. All similar locking breech pistols like a Glock,Sig,H&K,Walther, the Beretta 92 falling locking block,and even the 1911 link design have the barrel move rearward locked with the slide almost a quart inch,allowing pressures to drop off, before it unlocks and begins its downward tilt.

The SR9 tries to unlock the millisecond the slide begins rearward violently unlocking the barrel. I think this is the reason they decided to band-aid fix the problem requiring hand fitting the barrel/slide and overly tightening the lockup.

My SR9 isn't hard to rack but there is a large amount of force needed to overcome the initial lockup before the slide starts to come back. This makes a loud "clack" noise as it unlocks and then the slide wants to fly all the way back to the slide stop from the initial force making it hard to just pull the slide back part way.

It seems like this setup will at least have minor peening as pictured that should round off and stop after a couple hundred rounds. I think they would benefit from a slight bevel on that area of the barrel hood.

A

Anonymous

My barrel moves nearly 1/4", but clearly no less than 1/8" with the slide, before the it drops down and unlocks.

Latest posts