SR9c and Reloads...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ratster

Bearcat
I just have a quick question. I have an SR9c and was considering running some reloads through it. The loads are a 125 gr RN cast lead round tip Ball brand bullet, using 3.5 grains of Winchester 231 powder.

I'm rather new to all of this and want to be sure I'm not going to regret firing these rounds through what has become one of my favorite pistols.

Any input would be appreciated. My work day is about to begin so it will be this evening before I can respond to any questions anyone might have. Thanks in advance... -Rat

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
The SR9c is capable of any factory ammo. If your reloads are of the same specs, I don't see a problem, but if your ammo is "HOT" then you may want to pass on using it. When safety is an issue I prefer to side with caution.

96/44

Blackhawk
Most of my guns haven't seen a factory load for years. Your load should be perfectly safe, so as long as it will cycle the action, go for it and don't worry. You don't save any money reloading, you just end up shooting more!

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I checked my reloading manual and your load seems to be within the recommended parameters of 3.2 - 4.2 with 125gr. lead bullet. So I would think you'd be fine.

I've been shooting and reloading for 41 years, and I must have eaten up 30 to 40 boxes of primers ( X 1000 each ). My guns are shot almost exclusively with my reloads, tens of thousands of them; never a problem!

Bapple

Bearcat
The only reloads my SR9c had trouble with were my low-recoil loads. Obviously this is probably due to the fact that the recoil spring is very stiff for how small it is, so I won't blame the gun.

Besides that, it loves my hot Bullseye loads. I shoot Berry's 115gr RN in front of 5.0gr of Bullseye. It gives me a nice satisfying fireball along with accuracy and firepower.

Your loads should be fine as long as it'll send the slide back.

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
My sr9c does not like reloaded brass, it may be that the brass was shot out of a Glock and expanded the brass ever so slightly.
with the reloads i use the sr9c is the only one that wont eat it, My full size eats EVERYTHING!!!!

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
2fast4u said:
My sr9c does not like reloaded brass, it may be that the brass was shot out of a Glock and expanded the brass ever so slightly.
with the reloads i use the sr9c is the only one that wont eat it, My full size eats EVERYTHING!!!!

2f4u, do you use a taper crimp die?

Ratster

Bearcat
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm going to give the reloads a try. I only made up enough for one magazine and I will try them on Monday or Tuesday. If these work ok, I plan on working up a bunch more as I have enough materials to make about 1500 rounds.

Again, thanks for all your help guys. -Rat

Bamacraig

Bearcat
If you are not using a taper crimp die you need to. That could be the issue. My reloads look, feel and shoot better then the factory cheapo Winch/Fed/Rem does. I shoot my 9mm reloads out of the SR9C and a M&P. Never had any issues.

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
Cheesewhiz said:
2fast4u said:

they guy who does my reloads does use one , i want to say its either made by lee or Dillon? hes got a few different presses so im honestly not sure of the brand.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
2fast4u said:
Cheesewhiz said:
2fast4u said:

they guy who does my reloads does use one , i want to say its either made by lee or Dillon? hes got a few different presses so im honestly not sure of the brand.

The depth of the taper point needs to be set properly, if it dosen't touch the case mouth, it doesn't taper the case. I'm not "Joe Reloader", I have a friend that reloads for me and he's good. If you don't taper crimp on auto pistol rounds, you will get misfeeds.

jeffegg2

Bearcat
Cheesewhiz said:
2fast4u said:

I have the Lee 3 die set. The last is a bullet seat and crimp. Should that
be enough?
8)

FritztheCat

Bearcat
The only reloads that have given me a problem were some wimpy rounds, 115 gr. Rem. FMJ over 4.0 grs. of TightGroup, that I loaded for my wife to qualify with. My CZ-75B loved them. In The SR9c, they would chamber and fire but would not eject. The slide would not come back far enough to reset the trigger and would go back to battery with the just fired case. The SR9c has two recoil springs, one inside the other, and they do tame the hotter rounds well but it takes some pressure in the chamber to cycle. I loaded some of the same bullets over 4.5 grs. of 231 and the ten I fired cycled fine and were fairly accurate. The load you listed is not going to be too much for your gun

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
jeffegg2 said:
Cheesewhiz said:
2fast4u said:

I have the Lee 3 die set. The last is a bullet seat and crimp. Should that
be enough?
8)

Lee actually makes a stand alone taper crimp die, I don't know much about it but it does seem strange that they would make a sepertae die.

My friend uses RCBS dies and does use the bullet seat and taper die but quite awhile back he did have to adjust the taper just right to get my .45's to work properly. He later told me he did the same with 9mm die after he started having feeding issues with his 9mm reloads. It must have moved over some time.

Bamacraig

Bearcat
You need the fourth die it is called a factory crimp die by some people. For Semi-Autos I only use Lee 4 die sets that include the factory crimp.