SR22 Cleaning

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chappell

Bearcat
I just bought an SR22 for my wife and I to learn to shoot with. After reading through the manual, it doesn't say that I need to clean it first. Do I need to clean and oil it before I take it to the range next week?

Frank in GA.

Bearcat
Always, Always, Always clean, inspect, and lubricate every firearm before you take it to the range to shoot. It may not always be absolutely necessary but, it'll sure boost your confidence when you pull that trigger for the first time. Besides you would be surprised at some of the things you could find wrong with a firearm. It just makes sense.
Think about the embarassment it prevents, that alone is worth the few extra minutes of preparation, and by all means take the magazines with you to the range. You would not believe the number of folks that come to the range without them or bring the wrong ammo.

eric2684

Bearcat
Chappell said:
Thanks Frank. That makes a lot of sense!

It would be a good idea to oil the outside of the barrel and the slide rails before going to the range. Also, do not shoot winchester white box 36 gr ammo, it will cause fail to feed issues.

Precision32

Blackhawk
Firearms are packed for storage. The grease you may see is not for lubrication, it's for rust prevention.

It is best, as others have stated, to always clean and lub a new firearm.

Chappell

Bearcat
Cleaned and lubed my SR22 last night. After reading through a few other posts, checked the guide spring and the hex bolt on the barrel, too. Now I just have to take my first shots and not look like a total noob at the range today.

Chappell

Bearcat
Put about 60 rounds (CCI 36gr Mini Mags) through the SR22 at the range last night. I had a few FTEs, but I'm not sure that some of those weren't user errors. Thanks for the help!