Spring Bird

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FastEd

Hunter
RIVERSIDE, OH, Home of the Air Force Museum
Don't know what kind of bird he is but he likes our crabapple tree.

29xcaxy.jpg

I call 'em "not-English, not-sparrows," because they come originally from the Middle East and are actually Weaver Finches. The myth is that they were brought to the colonies by an Englishman (or at least Anglophile) who wanted to bring every species of bird that was mentioned in Shakespeare to the US. The nightingale didn't take hold, but this little guy really did!

The other myth is that the Romans introduced them into Britain as food items. Having seen Italians eating other songbirds, I'd say this isn't so far-fetched, but I don't know if it is actually true.

Only bird I don't mind my cat eating, except for starlings.

But you sure got his portrait right!

doccash

Buckeye
In any event it is a great picture of a sparrow and it looks closely related to what a Larks Sparrow looks like here, very pretty. Dr.C

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
Around here we call them pests due for eradication. Every exposed rafter they can possibly roost is covered with contact poison and hubby taught Donna the fine points of riflery with a Daisy air rifle with them as targets. An unnamed idiot that shall remain my brother has an attachment on his air rifle that accepts a flashlight. He and my nephew kill about three dozen every night they go out for them.

Selena said:
Around here we call them pests due for eradication. Every exposed rafter they can possibly roost is covered with contact poison and hubby taught Donna the fine points of riflery with a Daisy air rifle with them as targets. An unnamed idiot that shall remain my brother has an attachment on his air rifle that accepts a flashlight. He and my nephew kill about three dozen every night they go out for them.

Well back in the 50s in the small towns in the Farming Comunities of Central Ohio. They had what were called Pest Hunts put on by the School FFA 's of the high schools a few times a year.
What we woud do was get the BB guns 22s loaded with Rat Shot and flashlights. After checking with the Farm/house owner we would go in barns, garages and the corn cribs for rats. We would shoot Sparrows, Rats, Coons and other pest. Each Pest was worth so many points and you were paid money for your points. GREAT fun. FFA probably doesn't do it anymore :( :(

In the summer harvest time the combined wheat fields and around the grain elevator was a VERY target rich environment for Sparrows with the Red Rider.
Jim

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Wyandot Jim said:
Selena said:

Well back in the 50s in the small towns in the Farming Comunities of Central Ohio. They had what were called Pest Hunts put on by the School FFA 's of the high schools a few times a year.
What we woud do was get the BB guns 22s loaded with Rat Shot and flashlights. After checking with the Farm/house owner we would go in barns, garages and the corn cribs for rats. We would shoot Sparrows, Rats, Coons and other pest. Each Pest was worth so many points and you were paid money for your points. GREAT fun. FFA probably doesn't do it anymore :( :(

In the summer harvest time the combined wheat fields and around the grain elevator was a VERY target rich environment for Sparrows with the Red Rider.
Jim

I remember those FFA pest hunts well Jim... :)....and no they don't have them any more around here.
Terry