SPF: Blue 44 Mag Super Blackhawk 4-5/8" Model S458N (1st yr)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
This is a high condition 4-5/8" blue .44 Mag Super Blackhawk with the non-fluted cylinder, wide spur hammer, and the steel XR3-RED style (not dragoon) grip frame. This one was likely made in 1990 based on the serial number, so turns 30 years old next year. I think it is a first year example of this model as the lowest known S458N is noted in the RENE Ref as 86-26030. Pardon all the reflections and dust specks in the pics, the shiny ones are the hardest to photograph. Not much to complain about condition-wise, just a light turn line and minor signs of use.

SPF $545 shipped FFL to FFL

GSlsyvo.jpg

YzHUekp.jpg

NQqaayu.jpg

wgcQCLX.jpg

BdVcyML.jpg

JeO9vWB.jpg

vHjMD0O.jpg

black029

Single-Sixer
See them just fine. What is the new host?
And a fully blued trigger? Seems odd on a new model, but I'm not the brightest bulb on the Forum. And I'm not suggesting anything

tinman

Buckeye
That looks very nice and is the bbl length I've been considering.....wish I could afford it right now.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
black029 said:
And a fully blued trigger?

Thanks for pointing that out, I had not noticed it when taking the pics. For the time being, I am withdrawing this gun from sale while I do more research.

After doing some quick checking, I believe this may be one of the rare WSSK458 guns made for Williams Shooter's Supply. According to RENE, a total of 928 were made before Ruger ever cataloged the S458N, but afterward started making the S458N at SN 86-39205.

I do not know if the WSSK458 had a blue trigger, but I think it is likely, given that this gun is in the proper SN range.

Oddly, I have the correct box for a WSSK458 with the special label indicating "1 of 1000" made for WSS. I don't remember where I got that box, but it has been sitting on a shelf in the basement for 15 years anyway. Might just have stumbled onto the proper contents!

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Well, after some quick googling, it seems I missed a key feature of the WSSK458 which is that those were stainless guns! I should have actually looked at the box while I was home because the images online clearly show "STAINLESS" on the box label. So the mystery of the blue trigger remains unsolved...

Paul B

Hunter
I have the exact same model as yours SN# 86-50xxx. The trigger on mine is also blued. Your's is only the second one I've seen posted and Mine is the only one I've seen physically. Not too bad as a trail gun where bears or Mountain Lions are in the hiking area but recoil is a bit snappy with full power loads. I wonder just how many of that model were actually made?
Paul B.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
So I'm back home and figured out my confusion this morning. There is an error in the RENE Reference for New Model Super Blackhawks in the Key where it defines the catalog number nomenclature. In that part, it says:

"WSSK458" - William's Shooter's Supply blue with 4-5/8" barrel. Note: This was the first run of the model S458N of which all were allotted to this one Ruger distributor.

But then down in the paragraphs describing the variations, it correctly identifies the WSSK458 as the first run of the KS458N (K = stainless):

low KS458N s/n 86-39205 (The first 928 of this model were allotted to Ruger distributor Williams Shooter's Supply and a special box end label with the catalog number "WSSK458" was used – known to sn 86-39897);

Here is a pic of the label on my empty box showing stainless. Also note that it just says "BLACKHAWK" rather than Super Blackhawk, but they are Super Blackhawks:

63ZgEIy.jpg

Another interesting note about the box: I opened it up and saw that it is configured for the reusable zip tie rather than the black plastic trigger guard cone. The only other boxes I have ever seen to use the zip tie are the boxes for the S3840 Buckeye Blackhawk convertible in 38-40 x 10mm. Since the S3840 and the WSSK458 were both 1990 models, I guess that makes some sense.

Oh, I also checked the online serial number lookup and this blue gun was shipped in 1990 as a model 00813 and the RENE Ref confirms the 0813 as S458N.

dad45

Single-Sixer
I will take it,
PM to follow
I had been lusting over this since the spring and finally saved up the money only to find the latest conversations with the withdrawn notice so kind of a heart punch LOL but all seems good now!, what are the odds of that?

Paul B

Hunter
dad45 said:
I will take it,
PM to follow
I had been lusting over this since the spring and finally saved up the money only to find the latest conversations with the withdrawn notice so kind of a heart punch LOL but all seems good now!, what are the odds of that?

Sometimes you win one and sometime you lose one. You got lucky.
Paul B.

dad45

Single-Sixer
Bear Paw Jack said:
dad45, you got a score there. Would make a fine gun to send to Bobby Tyler for some nice CCH. Very nice gun.

Great suggestion I may consider that when funds are available!!