Help Support Ruger Forum:

daveinvegas

Bearcat
A secret location in the Nevada desert 70 miles so
DSC00061.jpg

Stainless steel Ruger Old Army w/brass grip frame

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00047-1.jpg

Six or seven years ago I found this holster in a junk box at a gun store that was going out of business; I paid $30.00 for it.

DSC00076-1.jpg

This is what an Old Army should look like.

DSC00086-2.jpg

Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk (1976) w/stainless steel parts

DSC00027-2.jpg

Same SBH with stainless cylinder

DSC00084-1.jpg

Ruger Blackhawk (.30 carb) w/stainless steel parts. I really dislike aluminum grip frames.

DSC00080-1.jpg

DSC00088-1.jpg

DSC00035-1.jpg

NMV

I am fond of Ruger SA revolvers (don't care for Ruger's DA revolvers or semi-auto pistols).

I have a NM Vaquero I really prefer the old models with the large frame.

As to the Old Army, I think the grip frame is too small for such a large revolver so I installed a brass grip frame (sorry, I'm not up on the model numbers of the grip frames). But it gives me a little more to hold on to.

Years ago I saw a magazine with a Super Blackhawk on the cover that had a nickel plated grip frame. I always wanted to do that but never got around to it. Four or five years ago I realized that I could get the same effect if I replaced the grip frame with a stainless one. I found some parts on an online auction that were stainless. I replaced as many parts as I could with the stainless parts I could always return it to its original condition as I kept the parts).

I did the same thing to the .30 carb Blackhawk.

The brass grip frames that I purchased are hard enough to come by these days that I ended up paying more for them than I paid for the revolvers they are on.

DSC00036.jpg

All three of these were made in 1976 but only the one on the far left is a "Liberty" model.

DSC00039-1.jpg

It's a shame that Ruger discontinued the Old Army and the old model Vaquero.

Flatbush

Single-Sixer
Dave, thank you so much for posting these pics and sharing some of your collection with us. It is truly special and shows real inspiration!!

It must have taken many years to assemble your Ruger collection.

Nice job!!!

Flatbush

Great Pictures...nice collection, really like the look of blue with stainless grip frames which i have never considered doing...until today.

thanks for sharing your collection and welcome to the RugerForum.
NHRugerman

daveinvegas

Bearcat
scan0016.jpg

Here's the Guns & Ammo magazine cover that was the inspiration for the stainless parts on my Rugers.

I had this magazine on 1977 but lost it. I found this one for sale on ebay a few years ago.

One thing that I would like to do is jewel the trigger and hammer on mine.

I bought my first SBH in 1976; it was a "Liberty" model. I bought it because I wanted a .44 mag but couldn't afford a M-29. I didn't really want a SA but I wanted a 44.

I liked the SBH with the square trigger guard because it looked like the old Colt Walkers/Dragoons. And it was a big gun.

When I saw this magazine cover I wanted my Ruger to look like this one but didn't want to send mine some place to be plated. Instead I found a brass grip frame. It cost me $30.00, which was a lot for me back then.

Due to financial problems I had to sell my original Ruger SBH along with my modest collection of 35 firearms.

In 2000 I began rebuilding my collection. It took several years to find another "Liberty" model. I am keeping this revolver in it's original condition.

I bought another SBH just to install a brass trigger guard. Altho it isn't a "Liberty" revolver it was made in 1976.

Then I realized that I could install stainless parts on a SBH to look like the one on the magazine cover so I bought another one just for that. It was also made in 1976.

One of the things that I didn't like on my original SBH was the ramp front sight and the adjustable rear sight; it just didn't look like a SAA. At that time I didn't know that Colt had made the New Frontier. I own several SA Colt's I still don't like the New Frontier but the sights on the Ruger grew on me.

I had the same feeling about the original Old Army.

You can imagine how happy I was when Ruger began making the Vaquero with a more traditional SAA appearance.

I know a lot of people like the NV because it more closely resembles a Colt but I like the heavier frames of the original Vaqueros.

You can see how much I like my Rugers.

DSC00054-1.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

I recently bead blasted a ring on the cylinders of my Old Army revolvers just to dress em up a bit and to personalize them.

DSC00050-1.jpg

In 1984 I had to sell my modest collection/assortment of firearms including my first SS OA. A few years ago I purchased this one. The satin finish was extremely scratched up. It took a while but I managed to polish most of the scratches out. That's the beauty of SS. I paid under $200.00 for this OA; the brass grip frame cost me $300.00. I must be a little nuts, eh? Do you think this OA would look nice with the black laminate grips found on some of the Davidson guns?

DSC00052-1.jpg

DSC00053-1.jpg

I made the loading/display stands myself. I prefer to make things rather than buy them if I can.

daveinvegas

Bearcat
As the date of our graduation from the police academy approached, my class decided we should purchase a gift for our CO. My class decided that we should buy him a firearm. Because I had more firearms experience/knowledge than my classmates, it was decided that I should chose a firearm as a gift for our CO.

I chose a blue Ruger Old Army. I had a stainless OA at the time (as well as a Remington replica) which I enjoyed shooting. I thought our CO would like one, too. As it happens, he loved it and was frequently seen shooting it at the police department range.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Cool collections and stories. It is definitely hard to let them Rugers go, but when it comes to food on the table for the kids or such, that takes priority. Welcome to RF!

daveinvegas

Bearcat
Stoots said:
Welcome to RugerForum Dave!

Very nice guns and pics. I love those stands/bookends!

:D

Thanks much.

Yep, since I was laid off a couple of years ago I started making display stands for for some firearms (1911s, P-08s, etc.) and in the case of the OA, display/loading stands to generate a little extra income.

Do you like the stand with the .30 carb BH?

I'm a DIYer. I make Kydex holsters and sheaths and some other stuff. I'm also an aspiring knifemaker. I also like to build 1911 pistols. If there is an appropriate place to show stuff, I'd be happy to post photos.

daveinvegas

Bearcat
I own five old model Vaqueros (.45 Colt; wish I had one in .44 mag) and one New Model that I bought from my son when he decided to sell it.

Don't really care for the new model. It is my understanding that the new model was created for SASS folks who wanted a revolver that was more like a Colt SAA. My opinion is if you want a Colt, buy a Colt (I own five SA Colt's plus an Anaconda in .45 Colt). Besides, I hear that everyone uses such light loads for SASS anyway that you may as well be using .38 spl so what's the point.

I had a heck of a time finding two of the old Vaqueros after Ruger discontinued them.

I don't shoot the new model because I like the size, weight, feel, etc., of the older Vaqueros. I also like shooting hotter ammo in the older models.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice revolver, but it just ain't the same.

I trimmed some .454 cases to .45 Colt length just for hotter loads. I don't shoot the trimmed .454 ammo in the Colt's, only the old Vaqueros.

I know I'm an opinionated old cuss, but I like what I like and that's all there is to it. :)

What do ya'll think? Old model Vaquero or new model?

slowpoke

Single-Sixer
Thanks for sharing your pictures and stories Dave. Nice collection you have. Enjoyed them very much, and yeah, those book-ends are way cool!