johnyakima

Bearcat
I have a Ruger No. lA in 7x57. It's my elk rifle for
hunting on the east side of the Cascade Mts. in Washington
state. It currently has a variable scope on it and looks
clunky. I am thinking about taking it off and replace it
with a Skinner Aperture sight for the almost always close
shots I take at elk. Has anyone had experience with the
Skinner sight? And would you recommend it?

Chief 101

Hunter
i am also a fan of the NECG, tho old eyes require me to remove the aperture. Never used the Skinner so no comment...

keyston44

Bearcat
I have Skinner Sights on all my lever guns. They work great and blend into the classic lines of a lever gun. The only problem I have had using a peep sight is they can get packed with snow. So carry a tooth pick to clear it out.

Key

hammie

Single-Sixer
I hate it when someone pops in and answers a different question than asked, but I am going to do exactly that... with apologies.

Have you considered replacing your "clunky" scope with a smaller compact scope? I have a Burris timberline, 3x9, 32mm objective, mounted on my 7x57, 1A. The timberline is only 10 inches long and looks fine. Also many regular 2x7 scopes are not much larger than the timberline. A long time hunting friend of mine, has a 7x57, 1A, too, and he uses a 1x4 scope. We hunted Arizona mule deer at longer distances, and he never felt handicapped with the smaller, lower power scope.

Matter of fact, I think a lot of hunters "over glass". I know it's the fashion right now to install a 6 x18, 50 mm objective scope on a .22 rimfire, but I've never seen the usefulness of it. However, that's just me.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
hammie said:
I hate it when someone pops in and answers a different question than asked, but I am going to do exactly that... with apologies.

Have you considered replacing your "clunky" scope with a smaller compact scope? I have a Burris timberline, 3x9, 32mm objective, mounted on my 7x57, 1A. The timberline is only 10 inches long and looks fine. Also many regular 2x7 scopes are not much larger than the timberline. A long time hunting friend of mine, has a 7x57, 1A, too, and he uses a 1x4 scope. We hunted Arizona mule deer at longer distances, and he never felt handicapped with the smaller, lower power scope.

Matter of fact, I think a lot of hunters "over glass". I know it's the fashion right now to install a 6 x18, 50 mm objective scope on a .22 rimfire, but I've never seen the usefulness of it. However, that's just me.

LOL, Well said.

Corbi

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I had a Browning BL-22 lever-action several years ago and the receiver was so short that scoping it was impractical so I bought a NECG peep rear sight only to find that the OEM front sight was then way too short. None of the common aftermarket sights were available tall enough so I contacted Skinner and he made a custom front sight blade for me in the height I specified. The cost was very reasonable and the blade worked perfectly.

AKMATT

Bearcat
I use a Skinner sight and would recommend it. They have a screw in aperture that you can get small or large. You can even unscrew it and have a big hole.

AKMatt