Skid loaders

Help Support Ruger Forum:

skeeter

Single-Sixer
Any tips on buying a used one? I'm looking at Bobcats. I grew up near the plant and know people who build them. How many hours is too many? I will use it to clear trails amd brush and take out old pine stumps. Will probably get a brush hog for it too. Can it get a good reliable one for $20000? Can I get by with tires in really sandy soil or do I need tracks? Maybe a set of rubber tracks.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Contact some of the people you know who build them, I would think they can answer your questions.

radicalrod

Hunter
Well I bought a 2002 SCAT TRACK with 2 hours on the clock for 12K over 10 years ago.....

It has less than 300 hours now and I still love the thing...the skid steer is an amazing machine....

I have a trencher, a post hole auger, forks, and a grapple bucket....the ultimate BIG BOY TOY....getter done..RR

They make several models of the skid steer loaders so you will have to match the work requirement but you should be able to find a decent one for $20K and about 10 years old. At least down here.
I've run both the tracked and skid steer on personal projects and only had problems in the mud. Sand should be OK as long as it packs and you don't have the fine powdery stuff

32magfan

Blackhawk
Funniest thing I ever heard on the radio was John Boy & Billy's show with VA native Ward Burton (NASCAR driver) trying to record a radio commercial and get the words out " Cat skid steer loader". Poor Ward... He sounded like he had a mouth full of marbles. Maybe some computer savvy RF member could find it somewhere on the net.

32Magfan

737tdi

Hunter
Wow, that is a very open ended question. You can go from $40,000 machines down to really used at $10,000.

You mentioned a bushhog, keep in mind a hydraulic driven rotary mower is going to be 4X the cost of a PTO driven one. Almost all decent farm tractors today use a skid loader type bucket/attachments. My tractor with the hydrostat transmission gives me the best of both worlds. Convenient front loader/attachments and the 3 point/PTO in back. Of course it doesn't turn like a skid/trac loader but I am not doing commercial work. You can use almost every attachment on a Kubota that you can use on a skidsteer (same with JD, NH, MF).

Not trying to talk you out of a skid loader but for almost everything you mentioned a 30 to 40 hp. compact tractor can accomplish and cheaper at that. My 33 horse Kubota was $17,230 with loader and bumper plus 4X4, purchased 03/2013. I do wish I had gotten hydraulic remotes for the back though.

Good Luck,

Karl

skeeter

Single-Sixer
You can't lift much with a tractor. Night and day a tractor vs a skid loader. You will never pop trees out of the ground with a small tractor. I've rented both and have been really disappointed with the small tractors.

We bought a Bobcat 763G with 2200 hours last year for $10K. I don't care for the digital(electronic)controls and really feel those will cause expensive problems sooner or later. At 2200 hours, the engine and drive is still in great condition w/o significant leaks or wear. The 46HP Kubota diesel runs very economically compared to my big JD loader tractor and sealant filled tires save damaging expensive tractor tires. We use ours mostly for material and brush handling(brush grapples are GREAT).
The only real problem is the aux hyd circuit which is controlled by electric solenoids. There's an intermittent short that we can't find so that circuit has mind of it's own. Very disconcerting to have the grapple suddenly operate on it's own.
This is the second skid loader I've owned and I've been operating them here and there for over 40 years. Extremely handy piece of equipment but requires a trailer to move any distance due to slow transport speed.

jsh

Single-Sixer
Bobcat T200. They are a beast. Just be sure to keep an eye on the tracks. When you do throw one off it will be the worst place you could think of, not unlike a tire either.
As mentioned when clearing brush they are way handier. Don't get a smooths bucket go ahead and get a dirt bucket. Or at least get a tooth bar.
I myself dislike the case machine as I am an old fart and prefer peddles to operate with. I can run a bobcat all day with no fatigue where as about noon my arms and wrist are killing me.

Cooperhawk

Buckeye
I no longer allow skid steers in my woods. When they turn they tear up the terrain too much and on hill sides it causes too much erosion. If you want to make trails, use a bush hog.

We used to harvest logs with a skid steer, but now I cut them up and use a Ford tractor with a loader. Much less damage.

I have seen skid steers with steerable wheels.

radicalrod

Hunter
skeeter said:
You can't lift much with a tractor. Night and day a tractor vs a skid loader. You will never pop trees out of the ground with a small tractor. I've rented both and have been really disappointed with the small tractors.

I use my forks to rip stumps and debris....

Amazing the destruction one can do with them in very little time :lol: :lol: :lol: RR

737tdi

Hunter
skeeter said:
You can't lift much with a tractor. Night and day a tractor vs a skid loader. You will never pop trees out of the ground with a small tractor. I've rented both and have been really disappointed with the small?l tractors.

You can lift a lot with a loader. It is not night and day. No way. I have used both as I said before. You wanted advice and you get/got advice. If you are a farm/land owner you would be a fool to buy a skid loader. It's just not practical. Do a 360 on your land, well you just tore up the grass. It is a ridiculous situation if you are thinking of farming or grazing your land. A skid loader is not the answer. Buy a bigger tractor then mine, it hasn't failed me yet cept for getting stuck once, a skid loader would have disappeared. I'm sorry but you are on the wrong track for farm work. If you want to do farm/ranch work a tractor is the instrument. A skid steer is for commercial material remove/distribute/level/all around good stuff. It is NOT a farm/ranch appliance. It doesn't mow, disc, hallow etc.. I really think you are barking up the wrong device but that is just my opinion. That bobcat will be your thorn. Hydraulic augers are $2000 to $3000, Hydraulic hogs are $4000 to $5000, you can buy a grappler bucket for $1500, but that same grappler works on mine.

Sorry, for the misdirection but I think you are expecting something out of a Skid that is just not possible, a big maybe on pulling those trees. Realize that is a big maybe, the only thing that pulls trees is a tree puller....! Or a bit of work, a set of forks and working your ass off. A skid steer will not pull my trees.

Again good luck.

Karl

skeeter

Single-Sixer
I didn't ask for advice whether I should buy a bobcat or not. I asked for advice on buying a used bobcat. Sorry if I insulted your tractor. I've used both and for my situation a bobcat is the hands down winner. Most used Bobcats around here come from farm use. I'm not a farmer, but have some land. I'm using it to rip stuff up so I don't care if the tires rip stuff up! I looked the other day at used machines and half smelled like cow manure. This is turning into another thread similar to when somebody wants advise on a 22 magnum and people tell him he needs a 38 special. I was looking for useful advice like how many hours? Years? Etc.

Buckhorn150

Bearcat
I've been around skidsteers most my life.They are one of the most handy machines you could own. Type of use is the most important part of your hours question. I'm in The asphalt business and we have just wore out skidsteers in a couple thousand hours. Buy the ones that smell like manure,farmers get up to 8,000 hours of service as the work load is typically light.Your budget should get a pretty decent machine,the attachments you would want will start adding to the price. As far as the tracks go we had allot of problems with the after market ones. If you are looking at tracks get the machine that came with them from factory. Sand is a problem with no vegatation on it. Sand just takes a little finesse as the more you spin your tires the worst it's going to be.anybody that runs a skidsteer enough knows you just don't wing 360's to turn them.

radicalrod

Hunter
Buckhorn150 said:
anybody that runs a skidsteer enough knows you just don't wing 360's to turn them.

But 360's and wheelies are the best part of running one :lol: :lol: :lol: RR

Well if you are going to use it for snow removal too buy a back hoe....they will also dig a tree out...

I have a CASE 580 SUPER K 4x4 in my arsenal....sold my JD 762 scrapper and CASE 1150 E DOZER...

I sure miss those two pieces....used them to dig my pond....that was a blast...glad I am done...

Latest posts