Simply Rugged holster for my GP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

brushunter

Single-Sixer
I recently acquired my GP , 3". I'd like the ability to carry IWB. After doing research , I've come up with the Sourdough pancake from Simply Rugged. It can be had with IWB straps , seems like it may be what I'm looking for.

Is anyone using a Sourdough for IWB carry ? I initially thought is may be too large or bulky for IWB , after e-mailing , I was told he carries 4" N frames IWB so a GP 3" should work fine. I'm looking for personal experiences here ...

I have two of their holsters , I'm aware of the quality of their products. Oh , and BTW, I did look at various "custom" shops ...while they can make them and the quality is a non issue ...they're way out of my price range.

Thanks , brushunter

Won't comment on IWB because I don't and won't. But Simply Rugged gear is good stuff. Heck, I've found the Chesty Rig to be the only "shoulder" holster I'd use. The tanker style is the only torso holster that has ever been anywhere near comfortable.

Hmm, I wonder if these current chest carry baby rigs came from someone who used a tanker?

Lucky Joe

Good question, I am putting Hogues on my 4" Security Six and would like to carry this revolver so I am also looking for a holster for the same purpose.

Dodgeum

Bearcat
I tried the sourdough holster IWB with my Ruger big frame Vaquero Sheriff's model, and could never quite make it comfortable. I did feel it was a little too bulky for some reason. On the other hand, I currently carry a Redhawk 4" .45Colt in a Simply Rugged Tribute IWB and find it very comfortable. I made some kydex strips with additional attachment holes that attach to the holster and the IWB straps attach to the kydex strips. With the kydex strips, I have more adjustment for angle and depth of carry. I also use one of Rob's heavy leather belts and it makes a world of difference in supporting the large revolvers. :wink:
Forgot to note that I'm medium build, 5'11", around 170 lbs. The sourdough might work very well IWB for someone with a larger physical size. Not a whole lot of distance between hip bone and spine on me. :lol:

Michael Z.
north GA.

Fowler

Single-Sixer
I carry my 2 1/2" model 19 in a Sour Dough worn in the pants probably 60% of the time these days. If I dont have that gun on my its a full sized 1911 but i like the lighter weight and smaller profile of the Sour Dough, I think it would do fine for you...

Arky

Single-Sixer
Mine is the slightly smaller Silverdollar pancake and a 3 in. Sp101 but it is comfortable enough. However, I did find the slim profile and light weight Kahr .40 to be a lot better IWB. If I CC the Ruger, it is usually in a minimalist and OWB. I carry the Ruger around the place doing chores. The pancake fits great in the hip pocket of my Big Smith overalls.

Latest posts