Shootists 44 Special Bisleys

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Boge Quinn

Single-Sixer
I've been asked by a few guys to post the story of the "Shootist" 44 Special Bisleys, describe how they differ from the 7-1/2" 44 Specials that are out there in rare numbers now, and to post a few pics. So, here goes:

The "Shootist" Bisleys were commissioned to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of the Shootists (1985-2010). 100 guns were ordered, with the following special features:

Ruger small-frame Blackhawk (Old Model 357 Magnum size)
Flattop frame with Micro rear sight
Bisley grip frame, hammer, and trigger
Seven and one-half inch barrel
High Polish blued finish
Sides of hammer spur and trigger High Polish blued
44 Special chambering
Fluted cylinder
Wood grips (reddish-brown laminate)
No internal key lock
Special rollmarks on barrel:
Left side: 1985-Shootists 25th Anniversary-2010
Right side: Men Who Stand In The Gap
Serial numbers: SH25-001 through SH25-100
Belt Mountain #5 Base pin with "25" marking

Paco Kelly (outgoing chairman of the Shootists) was presented Shootist Bisley #1 at the Shootist Holiday, and Taffin got #2 (among others). I bought four - initially I ordered a consecutive pair ( #17 & #18 ), one to shoot and one to crown Safe Queen (the only such I have ever owned). But it turned out that not quite 100 Shootist Bisleys were advance-ordered by the Shootists, and Ruger required a minimum of 100 for the run, so I bought another two to help take up the slack ( #40something and #98 ). I'll keep the extra two unfired - I figure they will be a good investment.

Ruger did a beautiful job with these, and I am very happy with the two I've picked-up so far (the other two await me at the Hardware Store - at least I THINK they do). Ruger did make one mistake, and put too-short front sights on them - it shoots about a foot high at 50 yards with Skeeter loads. I believe what happened was, Ruger just used the 44 Magnum front sight and didn't consider point of impact with the 44 Special. I was the first to shoot one of the Shootist Bisleys (at the Shootist Holiday), but several other Shootists have all reported the same. I understand that higher-velocity 44 Special loads will bring the point of impact to the sights, and Taffin has already sorted-out what loads to feed his, but I haven't tried to load anything special for it - I may have a taller front sight installed (on the one I bought to shoot); to me any 44 Special should be able to shoot the Skeeter load to the sights.

Here's the story on the "extra" 7-1/2" 44 Special Bisleys: these are basically Shootist Bisleys without the roll-marks and high-polish finish. How these "extra" Bisleys got made was, basically, Ruger screwed up: when Ruger sent the sixguns off to have the barrels custom roll-marked, somebody was on their toes at Barent and noticed that the frames were not specially serial-numbered as they were supposed to be. So Ruger had to make another batch with the SH25- serial numbers, and the regular-marked batch was sent on to Lipseys for sale after they were finished out at Ruger (Lipseys' Jason Cloessner handled the transactions for the Shootists, and was instrumental in getting the Shootist sixguns made). Jason kept it quiet so these "extra" 92 sixguns would go to those who would REALLY appreciate this neat footnote to Ruger history. They will be quite collectible I think. I bought one as well, direct from from Lipsey's, but I haven't picked it up yet. It, hopefully, is also waiting for me at the Hardware Store.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
I have a question - how many Shootist members are there? And how were you able to acquire four of these very nice sixguns?

I'm just curious....well ok, jealous!

Thanks for the info.

Boge Quinn

Single-Sixer
Arokcrwlr":1k1ie2yp said:
I have a question - how many Shootist members are there? And how were you able to acquire four of these very nice sixguns?

I'm just curious....well ok, jealous!

Thanks for the info.

Not sure exactly - probably around 100 members. As I said above, I initially ordered two, but we ended up not quite having enough orders to make the minimum 100 pieces Ruger required for the special run. So I bought a couple extras, mostly to help us reach the 100 required, but partly to put in the safe and watch the investment grow.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Wow...that is a very nice setup!

Next time you guys fall short on an order like that...I am sure as heck that I can always think of 1 or 2 folks that would help meet the challenge 8)

caryc

Hawkeye
Absolutely gorgeous. I have only one problem with them and that is the grip screw hardware. A real shame. I just don't understand it.

caryc

Hawkeye
flatgate":3kpanrpc said:
I agree Cary. Black would have been way more "elegant"....

flatgate

Yeah.....but it still has one heck of a drool factor. To tell you the truth I'm not even that partial to Bisleys, but that is a beauty for sure.

I have to admit I was really wanting to see what Lipseys would admit to when my dealer called about the 'mistake" guns that were to be sold without the Shootist serial number. They said they sold them out within 15 minutes of someone posting a message about them on Rugerforum------