scope to "match" 77/22 target gray finish?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

52jimmy

Bearcat
Was poking through my rifles tonight, wiping them down with an oily rag in a moment of Sunday night boredom and it occurred to me that my 77/22, has kind of a heavy barrel with target gray finish just looks kind of odd with a silver scope(3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff is what I have on it) and wouldn't look much better matched with a black one, whether matte or gloss. Just doesn't all "match" somehow. Shoots like a champ and has ruined scads of Prarie Dogs days but a scope closer to the metal color would sure LOOK lots nicer. Does any scope manufacturer make such a scope?? Just curious--the rifle won't shoot a bit better with a color matched scope but would sure look better.

Curious Jimmy

Snake45

Hawkeye
I don't think so, but I might have an answer to your problem.

Last year I refinished the range hood in our kitchen with some Rustoleum Stainless Steel Epoxy paint (sourced at Lowe's). I was struck with how similar the color and finish (a matte metallic gray) were to my own 77/22V. The stuff is very tough, too--I don't see why you couldn't refinish your scope with that stuff and end up with a very pleasing looking result.

It's only about $7 or $8 a can. Try some on something and see if you like it before you spray your scope with it.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I like matte black for all my scopes, regardless of what they're mounted on but I'm pretty sure that Leupold's custom shop does a custom target grey finish.

WayneSmithers

Bearcat
I also have matte black on my VMBZ and think it looks fine.

2withdavid.jpg

pistol pete

Bearcat
Leupold did make a scope with the right color for the gray
Ruger. I don't think it's in the lineup now. Black will probably look the best.
It' very hard to match any stainless rifle to a stainless scope, the texture and polish never really matches. Matte black will look best unless you get lucky.

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
Simmons made one that matched up good for a short period of time and Leupold also made one. I wish I had some more of the Simmons ones I have one and seems to be a decent scope I will see if I can find the picture to post.

I like to match the glass to the gun. For the most part my gloss guns get gloss scopes, which I'll add are getting harder to find these days.

Dennis.

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
Here is the Simmons stock photo of the scope it is a Prohunter 6-18x40. I will have to get my gun out and take a photo of it as I thought I had one to post but I checked and do not. I will try and get it posted soon.

10962_1.jpg