Scope for a 10/22 carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Uncleman

Bearcat
Hello- I just received a gift of a brand new Ruger 10/22 Carbine. I'm new to Ruger and this seems like a great little firearm. Recently I've come to the point where I put a scope on a Marlin 30-30 and I really like it much better now so I'd like to scope the Ruger. The rifle came with a factory scope base adapter (not installed). I'm wondering if someone from the forum could suggest a nice scope for this rifle that will just bolt right up without any modifications.
Thank you.

9x19

Hunter
The current 10/22s come with a scope base that accepts Weaver-style rings... there are lots of brands and they come in varying heights.

Scopes can be cheap to expensive, fixed 4x to huge varialbes... What kind of scope do you have on your Marlin?

If you're a hunter/plinker a good 4x would work fine, or if you go after moving game, then a red-dot with no magnification can also work well. If you want some options a good low-powered variable (2x-7x) would also serve fine.

Nikon offers both in their ProStaff Rimfire line, and Leupold does as well in their Vx1 and Fx1.

wwb

Hunter
I have two 10/22 carbines.....

One is just as it came from the factory except for a trigger job (4 lb pull, but crisp). I use it for bunnies and squirrels, and it's fitted with a Bushnell 1.5-4.5.

The other has an aftermarket bull barrel, a Boyd's stock, a 2 lb trigger, and a CPC accuracy job. It's used for target and the occasional South Dakota prairie dog shoot (anything out to 125 yards is dead), and that one has a Simmons 4-12X40 AO.

Lots of rounds through both, and no scope problems after many years. My centerfire rifles are a different story.... a Leupold on the .44 mag and a Zeiss on the .30-06.

I have all my 10-22's scoped. Two have 1.5-5x32 and two have 2.5x32. I don't have big need for high magnification on the autos as those needs are covered by the 77/22. I really like the 2.5x Sightrons I put on mine. Great for small game at close to medium range or swingers at 100 yards.

OH_FFL

Bearcat
Take a look at the Simmons .22 Mag....they seem to be a great value.
They offer a 3-9x32mm and a 4x32 with a lifetime warranty. I bought the 3-9x32 with adjustable objective for around $55 at Amazon.com
Very impressed!

MedicYeti

Bearcat
I have a BSA 12-20x50 (big scope) on one of my 10/22's. With the scope and other upgrades I shoot penny sized targets at 100 yards. I wouldn't use the BSA on a centerfire but it works great on the 10/22.

lookieloo

Bearcat
Stick with just about any fixed 4x optic and you'll be satisfied, even with the economy models. Go variable and you'll be taking a risk if you don't spend at least $150.

jb1911

Bearcat
Here's a pic:

11674039025_ee3820f4b1_b.jpg

wwb

Hunter
lookieloo said:
Stick with just about any fixed 4x optic and you'll be satisfied, even with the economy models. Go variable and you'll be taking a risk if you don't spend at least $150.

I would tend to agree, if you were scoping anything with significant recoil. On a .22 rimfire, however, I would take issue with that statement. Both my 10/22 carbines have relatively cheap variable power scopes (a $60 Bushnell and a $100 Simmons), and have no problems after several thousand rounds through each one. The Simmons is on a target gun, and has a relatively soft life.... the Bushnell, however, has been in the rain, fog, snow, and sub-zero weather.... bumped around in the woods for 10+ years and still works fine.

lookieloo

Bearcat
wwb said:
lookieloo said:
I would tend to agree, if you were scoping anything with significant recoil. On a .22 rimfire, however, I would take issue with that statement. Both my 10/22 carbines have relatively cheap variable power scopes (a $60 Bushnell and a $100 Simmons), and have no problems after several thousand rounds through each one. The Simmons is on a target gun, and has a relatively soft life.... the Bushnell, however, has been in the rain, fog, snow, and sub-zero weather.... bumped around in the woods for 10+ years and still works fine.
I envy your luck with cheap variables. Then again, perhaps the technology and manufacturing have improved since I last tried them out. For a long time, I wouldn't touch a variable unless it was Leupold or Burris because my brother and I had three or four cheapos end up in the trash when we first started shooting ~15 years ago (and yes, they were mounted of rimfires). This past week I swallowed hard and bought a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 rimfire to put on my new T-Bolt when the bases arrive. Fingers crossed...