Scathing Review/ Sage Int'l

Help Support Ruger Forum:

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
Back before I moved to AK, I put together a shotgun that could function as both self defense, and hunting... Basically an old beat-up 870 that I picked up cheap.
I put a 21" rifled barrel on it, and as it happened, we had a set of ghost ring sights at the shop I worked at, (part time).
After I got to Alaska I went out to sight it in... by the 3rd slug, I noticed that the front sight was NO LONGER on the barrel... it had launched itself down range.. I remounted it.. made sure it was tight... and... same thing....
I took the shotgun to a gunsmith who drilled and tapped a second hole... the rear screw, in the pic... That seemed to solve that issue.
Later... as I was carrying the shotgun from the truck to the cabin, I noticed the rear aperture was missing off the rear sight.... ugggh....
So I called Sage, to see if I could BUY, a replacement rear aperture...
The customer service person was so surly, that she could have been a stewardess for Jet Blue..... She stated that I would have to BUY, the entire unit.. $125.00
That was NOT going to happen, so I calmly hung up.... I did call back at a later date to see if there was another customer service rep... nope... sounded like the same one... and the same answer....
In talking with the owner of the shop, back in Minn, he said he had another set, and sold them to me dirt cheap.... I mounted them up.... as I tried to tighten the screw that holds the aperture in place... the head snapped on the screw.... (hard to see in the 1st pic.. just behind the aperture)
So..... I now have to remove broken screw, and find a replacement... I'm thinking of tapping a larger hole, and more robust screw, but I have taps.. I'll have to try and budget for a set I guess.
So be warned... Sage Int'l promotes itself as a big time defense contractor, but as far as I'm concerned their stuff is garbage, and their customer service is worse... Stay Away...

Attachments

• 20220627_084928.jpg
    20220627_084928.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF9171.JPG
    DSCF9171.JPG
    410.4 KB · Views: 34
  • sage front.JPG
    sage front.JPG
    303.8 KB · Views: 35

the_leper_colony

Single-Sixer
...So be warned... Sage Int'l promotes itself as a big time defense contractor, but as far as I'm concerned their stuff is garbage, and their customer service is worse... Stay Away...

It's always surprising when you find crappy customer service at a "big name" company - most folks assume that they would want to protect their reputation, and honor the customers who made them successful, by treating people right. Obviously, that doesn't always happen; I had a similar bad experience with a Bushmaster customer service rep many years ago, and stopped doing business with them as a direct result.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
Got it Reuben..... thanks for the warning....I won't forget how they treated you.

J.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I could understand them not just, giving me, a replacement sight.... But I didn't even ask that... I was content to buy the parts.... The surly attitude is what got me... no "sorry our item failed you", or anything...
I am going to fix it.... my way.... I'm going to add another set screw, just like I did with the front sight.... I have to look at it closely to see if it will work... but since it doesn't work now, I'll be no worse off...
I'll need a tap & die set... anyone know of a decent "poor guy's", brand out there?? I have access to a nice drill press and vice.....

Mega Twin

Blackhawk
If it is aluminum just about any tap brand should work ok. Just remember to turn it in and back it out to clean the chips out so it doesn't gall the threads.

Latest posts