Ruger's New SR-22 Rifle..............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I'm much happier with my Kel-Tec PLR-22. Talk about F-U-N, and as accurate as most of my 10/22's! For under $330 NIB and warranteed, the Kel-Tec is superior.

The Ruger factory-kitted frankenstein rimfire has allot to prove if they expect me to shell out twice the price!

9x19

Hunter
The PLR22 is a lot of fun... but I don't think it competes directly with the Nordic 10/22.

Two very different animals, and both worth their asking price... to me! :D

KTPLR22.jpg

1022AREo.jpg

Bones507

Bearcat
Who if anyone makes a good dependable hi cap mag for the 10/22 ?
I have tried the one that eagle puts out and that was junk, also another one i forget which but same thing, no good. So i quit trying to find one.
I have 2 10/22,s one is strictly a bench gun and has been tricked out to the tune of roughly $1500 and the other one is stock but i have a green mountain barrel for it when i decide what i want to do with it.

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
Anyone remember the Rhineland R22 rifle of 2005? 10/22 bolt and magazines, AR-15 fire control guts, Savage-like barrel mounting sytem, all wrapped up in a cool HK lookalike package. Hella accurate, too.

R22dpms1.jpg

As to reliable hi-cap 10/22 mags, I can recommend the Butler Creek Steel Lips. I have eight of them now and they function at least as well as the Ruger factory 10-rounders. The Hot Lips are okay but not 100% reliable like the Steel Lips. Ask for them by name!

9x19

Hunter
I like the Tactical Innovations mags the best (the composite mags run just fine for me), and the MWG 50 round tear-drop mags are also excellent, IME.

kdogg

Bearcat
That thing is pretty friggin ugly.

If I wanted a "assault" looking .22LR, I'd get a conversion for an AR rifle or one of those new COLT or S&W AR style .22LR guns.

I had a GSG-5 MP5 type .22LR for a while but it was kinda crappy for the price.

I just like the Ruger 10/22 with a nice stock and barrel. Something that looks like a distance sniper rifle.

Just my two cents and personal opinion though.

CraigC

Hawkeye
9x19":2cve02b6 said:
The PLR22 is a lot of fun... but I don't think it competes directly with the Nordic 10/22.

KTPLR22.jpg

Okay, now you have to tell me about the box the loose .22's are in!

Snake45

kdogg":w4e2z179 said:
That thing is pretty friggin ugly.
My R22?

Guess I'll have to get rid of it then, because your opinion is SO important to me. :roll:

How rude. :evil:

9x19

Hunter
CraigC":udl6wg6w said:
9x19":udl6wg6w said:

KTPLR22.jpg

Okay, now you have to tell me about the box the loose .22's are in!

That box is an empty container for a Mil-Issue personal Chemical Decontamination kit. It had a very tight sealing lid, along with a short nylon strap and metal snap hook... The Sportsman's Guide sold them in the past... not sure if they still do or not.

Vashthestanbeto

Bearcat
No more waitings..funny how this thread caught my eye as I am finishing up the DM of my new product..which is EXACTLY what you wanted.

Let me quickly self introduce..My name's Andy, I am a Soviet related arms collector, amature target shooter, and lastly, the chief manager of a small-medium sized business which specializes in firearm parts and stocks. We used to make soviet Replica replacement solid wood stocks and sidefolders for the Kalashnikov family of rifles, but I have chosen the 10/22 as our first step of advanture into the rimfire market. The goal? You guessed it, to replica the 10/22 into a M1 carbine, as authentic as possible. We perfectly copied the stock and upper handguard from a late war Inland Carbine, and inletted it for the 10/22 sporter action. With all the metal parts(front barrel band, sling swival, buttplate, all built from steel) intact. The rear is also cutout correctly just like the original, and is ready to accept a regular M1 carbine sling/oiler combo, the conversion will be a simple drop-in, you may even use your original open sights if you would like.(the upper handguard has a cutout for stock flip-up rear sights) Or use a pair of Tech-sights to compliment the already authentic carbine look.The kit will adapt all contoured-barrel 10/22 sporters in a breeze.

This is just the beginning of our "World War 22 Collection" project, in the not very distant future , more products which resemble the proven, reliable 10/22 action into M1 carbine while improving its functionality will be introduced down the road. ( for example, a set of sights that replicates M1 carbine rear and front sight is already on the drewing board, along with charging handle.. adjustable trigger system, and more to come!)

We are yet ready for a proper formal introduction of our 10/22-M1 carbine conversion kit, please bear with us for a couple days until I have all the materials in one pit, and I will have a thread dedicated to it right here as well as in rimfire central.

Thanks!

Snake45":2vi32yus said:
9x19":2vi32yus said:
The letter will go out today... I'm guessing you want a walnut stock and hand-guard... do you want an early or late style safety... also early or late style sights and barrel band? Parkerized or blue? Of course they'll need to re-engineer the magazine release... :D

Sounds like a fun project, be sure to share some pictures.
Ideally, walnut stock and handguard, with tung oil-type finish, but I'll take birch and refinish it myself if need be. Late type (fully adjustable) sights would probably be best though I could live with the simple L flipper as I like to set my sights for some moderate range (probably 50 yards for this gun) and then just leave them alone. Late type safety would be perfect (that's what's on my "house gun") and shouldn't be too hard to engineer but I can live with early-type. Blued finish is fine, and bring back the metal TG group, please. No strong preference in barrel band as long as it has the sling swivel on the left side. I'll live with the standard-type mag release; no need to re-engineer to GI type as all magazines would have to modified to work with that.

I do plan to take some pics as I go and if you're serious about wanting to see them, I'll post them. Several guys at Rimfirecentral.com have done this type of project; all of them look good but not perfect. I think I can I can make one look better than any I've seen and that includes the one done by gunsmith Reid Coffield and seen in Shooting Times magazine (which is the best I've seen yet).

I don't see why Ruger couldn't put such a product in stores for MSRP of @ $400 or so, and I don't see why it wouldn't be a HUGE seller for them.

Then they could do a 10/22 with Mini-14 type sights and handguard on it.... :wink:

Snake45

Vashthestanbeto":1io92fvi said:
No more waitings..funny how this thread caught my eye as I am finishing up the DM of my new product..which is EXACTLY what you wanted.

Let me quickly self introduce..My name's Andy, I am a Soviet related arms collector, amature target shooter, and lastly, the chief manager of a small-medium sized business which specializes in firearm parts and stocks. We used to make soviet Replica replacement solid wood stocks and sidefolders for the Kalashnikov family of rifles, but I have chosen the 10/22 as our first step of advanture into the rimfire market. The goal? You guessed it, to replica the 10/22 into a M1 carbine, as authentic as possible. We perfectly copied the stock and upper handguard from a late war Inland Carbine, and inletted it for the 10/22 sporter action. With all the metal parts(front barrel band, sling swival, buttplate, all built from steel) intact. The rear is also cutout correctly just like the original, and is ready to accept a regular M1 carbine sling/oiler combo, the conversion will be a simple drop-in, you may even use your original open sights if you would like.(the upper handguard has a cutout for stock flip-up rear sights) Or use a pair of Tech-sights to compliment the already authentic carbine look.The kit will adapt all contoured-barrel 10/22 sporters in a breeze.

This is just the beginning of our "World War 22 Collection" project, in the not very distant future , more products which resemble the proven, reliable 10/22 action into M1 carbine while improving its functionality will be introduced down the road. ( for example, a set of sights that replicates M1 carbine rear and front sight is already on the drewing board, along with charging handle.. adjustable trigger system, and more to come!)

We are yet ready for a proper formal introduction of our 10/22-M1 carbine conversion kit, please bear with us for a couple days until I have all the materials in one pit, and I will have a thread dedicated to it right here as well as in rimfire central.

Thanks!

Snake45":1io92fvi said:
9x19":1io92fvi said:
The letter will go out today... I'm guessing you want a walnut stock and hand-guard... do you want an early or late style safety... also early or late style sights and barrel band? Parkerized or blue? Of course they'll need to re-engineer the magazine release... :D

Sounds like a fun project, be sure to share some pictures.
Ideally, walnut stock and handguard, with tung oil-type finish, but I'll take birch and refinish it myself if need be. Late type (fully adjustable) sights would probably be best though I could live with the simple L flipper as I like to set my sights for some moderate range (probably 50 yards for this gun) and then just leave them alone. Late type safety would be perfect (that's what's on my "house gun") and shouldn't be too hard to engineer but I can live with early-type. Blued finish is fine, and bring back the metal TG group, please. No strong preference in barrel band as long as it has the sling swivel on the left side. I'll live with the standard-type mag release; no need to re-engineer to GI type as all magazines would have to modified to work with that.

I do plan to take some pics as I go and if you're serious about wanting to see them, I'll post them. Several guys at Rimfirecentral.com have done this type of project; all of them look good but not perfect. I think I can I can make one look better than any I've seen and that includes the one done by gunsmith Reid Coffield and seen in Shooting Times magazine (which is the best I've seen yet).

I don't see why Ruger couldn't put such a product in stores for MSRP of @ $400 or so, and I don't see why it wouldn't be a HUGE seller for them.

Then they could do a 10/22 with Mini-14 type sights and handguard on it.... :wink:
What do I have to do to get the FIRST one? I was just about ready to start hacking up a GI carbine stock!

Snake45

Very, very cool!

I see you're apparently holding the rear of the handguard on with a couple of screws. I'm planning to use the overhang of a Weaver scope base for that purpose. This will also give me a rail to hang a scope on (in extra-high or see-through rings) if the mood strikes me, such as for ammo testing.

Why not do away with the op-rod cutouts, which have to be filled with something? The early carbines didn't even have these, and I don't think they'd be missed. Or you could offer it both with and without the cutouts.

Is the pistol grip patterned on the 10/22 stock, or the GI carbine stock? It's hard to tell from the photos but it kinda looks like you've got the slimmer (width) pistol grip of the 10/22. The carbine stock is much fatter in the pistol grip, giving the two guns a much different feel. This is the main reason I'm going to put mine in a real carbine stock rather than just reshape the 10/22 stock to look like an M1 stock, which is pretty easy to do.

Also, which LOP did you go with, 10/22 or the shorter M1?

What front band is that? Doesn't look like a GI band. Will the production stock take the GI front band?

This project has real promise! :wink:

Vashthestanbeto

Bearcat
Hello!

Alright, allow me to answer your questions real quick:
1. the rear of handguard is held together by a right-hand machine screw going from the top of the handguard into a screw base that's pressed and pinned into the stock body discreetly(you can see the pin on the left side of the stock, not very visable thrugh), therefore the screw never contacts the wood itself and will never become loose over usage, we have shot over 2000rds over the sotck pictures and theres not even one bit of wobbling.

If you wanted a scope, the top of the receiver is not obstructed and can still be used to secure a weaver rail(Exactly the reason why we have the upper handguard fixed to the stock itself).the handguard also provide enough clearence to mount a 30mm-40mm diameter scope on depends on what rings you plan on using, reddots won't even be a problem.

In the near future we are going to come out with a set of M1 carbine style sights the slip on and screw to the top of the receiver, in the case of rear sight, 2 versions will be introduced,one of the, will have rail extended to the full length of the receiver and fastened using the existing screw hole.

The op rod cut out is preserved because people like them.. at least the several hundred ppl I surveyed did. also they provide extra ventilation-in our tests after some rapid-firing, the action did cool down much quicker. and yes, we will offer no op-rod cutout versions if there's enough interest.

Be rest assured the PG angle and width is a EXACT copy of a Inland stock, its much, much thicker than the factory 10/22 stock.I can take a side by side photo today at work when time permits.

Length of Pull, again, exactly as the Original M1 carbine. for people that needs longer length of pull, I designed a stock extension pad that addes 1.5 inch of LOP, should be plenty.

Front band..man you have no idea..first of all,please understand that no way any unmodified M1 carbine barrel bands will fit a regular 10/22 action. Due to the fact that a pair of "flange" that hold directly onto the barrel is present and the contoured 10/22 barrel is at least .015 inch too wide at front band area.To make it work, the "flanges" which shaped like a ring welded into the interior of the band, must be completely removed. which is a very labor intensive job, plus the result is turd ugly=something you don't want to put on your rifle. Trust me we tried all 3 types of front band, no success.. not to mention they were all way too expensive to purchase in quentity even BEFORE the modification. So In the end we have to make our own. We went for the wider Type 2 front band for better top handguard to stock secureage, with its design modified to not intercorprate the " barrel flange ring" to begin with.

By the way, the front band you are seeing here is a production sample,which is GunKoted for the time being, the actual production version, plus the now shiny screw, will be blued to match the rest of steel parts on the stock.

hope that answers your question! I am planning a production run right now and the presale will start soon. Have a nice day!!

Snake45":1vo95eum said:
Very, very cool!

I see you're apparently holding the rear of the handguard on with a couple of screws. I'm planning to use the overhang of a Weaver scope base for that purpose. This will also give me a rail to hang a scope on (in extra-high or see-through rings) if the mood strikes me, such as for ammo testing.

Why not do away with the op-rod cutouts, which have to be filled with something? The early carbines didn't even have these, and I don't think they'd be missed. Or you could offer it both with and without the cutouts.

Is the pistol grip patterned on the 10/22 stock, or the GI carbine stock? It's hard to tell from the photos but it kinda looks like you've got the slimmer (width) pistol grip of the 10/22. The carbine stock is much fatter in the pistol grip, giving the two guns a much different feel. This is the main reason I'm going to put mine in a real carbine stock rather than just reshape the 10/22 stock to look like an M1 stock, which is pretty easy to do.

Also, which LOP did you go with, 10/22 or the shorter M1?

What front band is that? Doesn't look like a GI band. Will the production stock take the GI front band?

This project has real promise! :wink:

Snake45

Vashthestanbeto":exhie6zl said:
Front band..man you have no idea..first of all, no way any unmodified M1 carbine barrel bands will fit a regular 10/22 action. Due to the fact that a pair of "flange" that hold directly onto the barrel is present and the contoured 10/22 barrel is at least .015 inch too wide at front band area.To make it work, the "flanges" which shaped like a ring welded into the interior of the band, must be completely removed. which is a very labor intensive job plus the result is turd ugly=something you don't want to put on your rifle. Trust me we tried all 3 types of front band, no success.. not to mention they were all way too expensive to purchase in quentity even BEFORE the modification. So In the end we have to make our own. We went for the wider Type 2 front band fir better top handguard to stock secureage, with its design modified to not intercorprate the " barrel flange ring" to begin with.
I didn't have any trouble at all modding a real carbine barrel band for use on a 10/22 stock (I did this one about 20 years ago). Dremel cutoff wheel took off the bayo lug, and only took a couple minutes with a hacksaw to remove those flange fingers you speak of. Of course I'll do the same thing with the new one I'm building. The one in the pic below (middle rifle), I used a junk old GI band that was missing the sling loop. For my new one I have a new repro band with intact sling loop.

I'm VERY interested in hearing/seeing more about your sights. I'm planning to dovetail that Weaver scope mount to take a GI sight but I'm still open to other options if something looks good. Tech Sights are NOT an option for me because they just look like ass in this application.

1022s1.jpg