Ruger's New 22/45 LITE Review and Video

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-2245Lite.htm

DSC04238.JPG

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
I love the looks, but I think it is funny how none of the Ruger.com stock photos show the loaded chamber indicator or the lock hole. Same way smith and wesson does - They know it is undesirable and conveniently avoid showcasing it when possible.

It is a great idea and I am glad that they are making the offering, but the pac-lite/tacsol/Volquartsen is still desirable and will continue to sell well..

They did well in futureproofing by offering only one color from the get go...colors to come in dry spells to fill the spots between other major product introductions.

Smee781

Single-Sixer
I looks OK to me (gold is not my color) but what I really want is the sights. Looks like I'm going to order a set for my regular 22/45TB and install them. I hope this model comes out in another color soon.

+1 to I_like_pie on the lock and indicator hole pic's, I dont know why they dont show them with pride if they are so proud to put them on there guns.

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
Once again ruger spends more time producing new models and can't produce the guns they currently have in production.. Let alone the thousands of program guns they sold at the shot show :cry: Still waiting for them to fill my orders from January :cry: :cry:

Jeff thanks for the review. It's different than their other guns but I sort of like it. I can see it would be a good gun for teaching new shooters or small people etc.

I can see getting one to teach my daughter to shoot. It would be easy for her to lift the gun and operate it.

I'm interested. Hope they come out with different colors besides gold though. Red, blue, orange perhaps.

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
I hate that Ruger feels they must make slide serrations on this pistol! On a gun with no slide it is just pure stupid!

DSC04208.JPG

I also get miffed when I spend a lot of money modding a gun - I milled the frame of my 22/45 Mk2, installed 1911 grips, installed a threaded Pac-Lite upper. Now four years later I could buy an off the shelf version for half the price.

I installed a Nordic AR22 kit on my Walmart 10/22, added AR furniture, then years later Ruger sells a complete rifle with the same package for half the price.

I guess with Rugers you just shouldn't modify them. In a few years there will be a version you want off the rack at a good price .. assuming you can actually find one.

John Davies
Spokane WA

jjas

Single-Sixer
RPM enterprises...."Once again ruger spends more time producing new models and can't produce the guns they currently have in production.. "

+1 on that.

John Davies...."I guess with Rugers you just shouldn't modify them. In a few years there will be a version you want off the rack at a good price .. assuming you can actually find one."

I kind of wondered how long it would take Ruger to figure out that they were giving away sales due to the aftermarket companies helping customers build what they really wanted.

But as RPM and you have said, wanting one and getting one is a whole different animal......

Great review Jeff! I am not too happy with the screwed on front. If they had just sold it with the muzzle brake attached it would look better IMO. I also believe that all pistols should either be stainless or blue but again the is only MO. :)

BlkHawk73

Hunter
John E Davies said:
I hate that Ruger feels they must make slide serrations on this pistol! On a gun with no slide it is just pure stupid!

Hmmm, the name of the gun is the "Lite" so hmmm, maybe for weight reduction and marketing. Less material, while evn that little tiny bit seems to be a big thing to all those "it's too heavy" weight conscience folks. So while it may take of fractions of an ounce, it makes folks think it's doing more. If it were black it would help it being marketed as "tactical too" to they, Ruger, are looking ahead perhaps. ;)

tbln930

Bearcat
Jeff,

Good review. Ok now which do you personally like better for general plinking. THe SR22 or the new Lite?

Morton Co.

Bearcat
Its not traditional looking but my Sparrow suppressor will like it. I almost bought a SR22 but will get a Lite instead.

toysoldier

Hunter
It's a good start---a truly lightweight .22 pistol. If you're going to carry a .22 pistol while hiking, backpacking, etc., why carry more weight than necessary?

This particular style leaves me cold. It's a sop to the "tactical" crowd. For those of us who don't care whether our .22 resembles a big-bore gun, or makes a smooth line with a silencer, there are other variations that could be used. Slabsides are popular, and would weigh even less. A tapered barrel with smaller barrel nut would maintain something of the classic lines of the original Standard Auto. How about an "artillery Ruger" with 8" tapered barrel?

What I find really amusing is that the barrel mounting system copies the Crosman Mark I and II pellet guns, which were copies of the Ruger Standard Auto. :D

Sal1950

Blackhawk
RPM Enterprises said:
Once again ruger spends more time producing new models and can't produce the guns they currently have in production.. Let alone the thousands of program guns they sold at the shot show :cry: Still waiting for them to fill my orders from January :cry: :cry:

Agreed, I just don't understand the marketing approach of continuing to introduce new models when they can't deliver the weapons in their current catalog? Wonder how many revolvers S&W has sold recently because you can't find a GP or SP anywhere?

I do really like this new Lite's looks. All it needs are a beautiful set of hardwood grips to really set it off. I'm sure it will be a sales hit, if and when they can deliver them.
Sal