Ruger Scout Flash HIder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sknowlto

Bearcat
Has anyone used an FN SCAR 17 3-Prong Flash Hider on a Ruger Scout .308? Did it fit properly?
Any other suggestions for replacement flash hiders or muzzle breaks?

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
I bought the other style from Ruger that they put on the synthetic stock varieties which is the drilled port version. About $35. Works better and looks better IMO.

I've had two different Ruger Scout rifles. One with a flash hider and one with a muzzle brake, both equipped from the factory. The biggest benefit I see from any flash hider, is as a muzzle protector.

The factory supplied muzzle brake...Extremely effective at recoil reduction, but at a price. The muzzle blast and concussion is tremendous. I removed the brake and installed just a thread protector. I am pleased.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=280721&p=2803806&hilit=thread+protector#p2803806

pjinak

Single-Sixer
I put a AAC Blackout hider on mine.

It is also a three prong style and the Blackout is known to be one of the best at "hiding the flash" - if that is what you want.
It serves well as a muzzle protector and looks good to boot! 8)

"Has anyone used an FN SCAR 17 3-Prong Flash Hider on a Ruger Scout .308? Did it fit properly?"

Most muzzle devices have a commonality of thread diameter/pitch allowing universal fit. The common thread for smaller calibers is 1/2x28 and larger calibers is 5/8x24. There are MANY variables to this general sizing policy, most of which are meant to lessen the possibility of threading a device with a little hole on a barrel with a big hole or as a hedge against ending up with too little meat at the muzzle after the threads are cut. I don't/won't buy a barrel with an oddball thread. It would be safe to assume that both FN and Ruger are using the 5/8x24 threads on 30ish caliber barrels.
The wide variety of muzzle devices is confusing and it seems to me that most are simply decorative/cosmetic rather than functional. Unless one hunts at night, a flash hider is just a nice looking thread protector and muzzle brakes have limited usefulness on lower recoil rifles.