Ruger no.3 rebarrel as revolver companion options.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
For at least five years or more I've stewed over the idea of a Number 3 in 327 Fed Mag. IMHO, this is a match made in Heaven. Today I took the first step by purchasing a worn but not abused example of the Number 3 in 223. This is only the second example I've ever had access to, the first being a 45-70 my Dad traded into about 25 years ago… he shot one round and I shot two before we decided it should be traded! Nothing against the Number 3, but IMHO chambering it in 45-70 was a match not in Heaven, but in a much lower, much hotter location! :devilish:

Anyway, I plan to do a little more searching of this website and the web at large then I'm sure I'll be starting a new thread with the questions I've been able to answer.

Froggie 🐸

N30N-junkyard

Bearcat
User: Green Frog, I am definitely interested in seeing your build & following your thread. I have a fondness for 327 Fed and its little brother 32 H&R mag. I feel they are under rated.

On my own journey I went sideways and picked up a custom 20" 475 Linebaugh barrel. I just a friend put me on it and I could not pass it up. Not my not my original intention but I like in this new direction. Definitely won't feel under-gunned with any of my hunting endeavors.

Attachments

• C45C4D77-EF4E-48E3-A6A5-EEBC4F0AB876.jpeg
    C45C4D77-EF4E-48E3-A6A5-EEBC4F0AB876.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 74
  • 34C2C938-1CED-4409-85D2-42597B720A35.jpeg
    34C2C938-1CED-4409-85D2-42597B720A35.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 69

Sgt Duncan

Bearcat
Wow, what a coincidence.
I just joined and noticed Aciera is rebarreling a Ruger #3 from 45-70 to 475 JDJ
This has been something I've been wanting to do for quite some time now. I just today purchased a used #3 in 45-70 to get it rebarreled to .480 Ruger. I picked up a Super Blackhawk in .480 a few years ago and have been trying ever since to come up with a carbine in .480 for a companion gun. Now when this #3 arrives (coming from another state) I will immediately get it to Jack Huntington at JHGunsmithing in Carson City. He has already built me a .475 Special out of a Ruger Blackhawk. (.475 Special is a shortened .480) This #3 will be a companion to both handguns and very similar to Aciera's .475 JDJ

G2

Hunter
I just today purchased a used #3 in 45-70 to get it rebarreled to .480 Ruger. I picked up a Super Blackhawk in .480 a few years ago and have been trying ever since to come up with a carbine in .480 for a companion gun. Now when this #3 arrives (coming from another state) I will immediately get it to Jack Huntington at JHGunsmithing in Carson City. He has already built me a .475 Special out of a Ruger Blackhawk. (.475 Special is a shortened .480) This #3 will be a companion to both handguns and very similar to Aciera's .475 JDJ

Your build sounds like a good one, Welcome to the forum.

I like the way you think… .475L No.1 & 480R SBH.

52329428953_731dc690aa_b.jpg

RICHP

Single-Sixer
I want to rebarrel my Ruger no.3 with a 16" barrel in 41mag or 45lc as a hunting companion to my revolver. My thoughts are I would be easy on the shoulders as I grow older and would make reloading simpler.
The cons that are brought up are it devalues the gun but honestly that doesn't matter to me because I won't let go of this gun.
I live in NC and would not be long range shooting with it. I like the 41mag as a revolver but see the versatility of the 45lc when it come to heavier bullet selection. The last thing that in in my thoughts are that I could chamber it in 454 Casull. Honestly, I'm not interested in shooting 454 Casull in pistol form, which negates the easier reloading and possibly the shouldering of the carbine.
I will be hunting mainly deer with this setup but there is a the possibility of a black bear hunt two. I do plain on a hog hunt in Florida & Texas a few times. I'm telling you this just in case it has bearing on opinions.

Thanks for looking.
You need a .41 Cal.. You might even chamber for a 414 Max. Then you could shoot .41 Special, .41 Mag. or 414.Of course you would have to load your own 414 rounds.
I have a n0.3 with no.1 wood, it has a McGowan barrel. I have not shot it much. It seems to like 220 gr. sillywet bullets.
I have had another in the shop, since last Nov. It will get a .41 cal. bbl. on it. The McGowan bbl, is a 20in heavy . The one in the shop is shorter and same contour as a no.3. The wait is starting to get to me!

A few years back I owned a #3 originally chambered in 44 Rem Mag. The previous owner, who was a gunsmith, further reamed the chamber to accept 444 Marlin. Was accurate with both cartridges. Sold it to a forum member awhile back. This one also had a #1A stock with a modified lever.

Last edited:

Sgt Duncan

Bearcat
Back in May I posted I had purchased a used Ruger #3 in 45-70 for the purpose of converting to .480 Ruger. In early June I got it over to JRH Gunsmithing in Carson City to work his magic. Jack rebarreled it with a 17" barrel and installed a ramp type front sight. I picked it up this past Monday.
Jack left the fore arm off for me to play with while I decide what length and profile I want. I opened up the channel to fit the thicker barrel and cut it to about 8 1/4" to use for now and decide if I want to pour a pewter nose cap or not.

Attachments

• IMG_3173.jpeg
    IMG_3173.jpeg
    436.4 KB · Views: 80

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I also dream of a .327 Federal single shot. Years ago in a gun mag Ross Seyfried? Did a cute falling block custom in .32 mag. A skinny light action not a Ruger but it was wonderful! Wish I could find the article.

N30N-junkyard

Bearcat
It's been a while. I have been working, fixing the house, kids graduating, life stuff that everyone is doing & then I locked myself out of my email & forum acount. I was going to make a new account just to post an update but one of my kids helped me retrieve my it today.
Here is my Ruger no.3 chambered in 475 Linebaugh with a 16 1/4" barrel cut & crowned. it weights a whopping 6.26 Lbs. She is almost done last things needed/wanted is reloading supplies, brass, powders...ect & new furniture. The current stock is missed matched & would need to be cut down for my short arms. So I like the idea of making a denim mircarta stock set. Instead of cutting a OEM stock set. The area I'm from was all mill towns where lots of denim was make or sewn into jeans or such. All the mills have closed or moved so making stock out of denim mircarta would be an ode my old stomping grounds and it helps I like the way it looks.
Rugerno3475linebaugh01.jpg

Last edited:

N30N-junkyard

Bearcat
Back in May I posted I had purchased a used Ruger #3 in 45-70 for the purpose of converting to .480 Ruger. In early June I got it over to JRH Gunsmithing in Carson City to work his magic. Jack rebarreled it with a 17" barrel and installed a ramp type front sight. I picked it up this past Monday.
Jack left the fore arm off for me to play with while I decide what length and profile I want. I opened up the channel to fit the thicker barrel and cut it to about 8 1/4" to use for now and decide if I want to pour a pewter nose cap or not.
That is fine looking No.3. I'm interested how you finish it up and how you like shooting it.